RE Friday Round-Up: Fresh Green Beans

Fresh Green Beans

We love green beans in our home. And I still remember the smell and freshness of them when I was little as my Mom always gave me the job of snapping off the ends. I used a little paring knife when I got older, or when I was in a hurry.

We serve beans a little different now, by leaving the stems on! My favorite way is to lightly steam them, add thinly sliced onion and fresh bacon bits, and then a little bit of pesto, salt and pepper! Then the next step is to barbecue them. Delicious!

Now it’s time to share some yummy recipes from my friends in blog-land, and many I’ve met in real life. I love real life because you really get to know the person behind the blog. :)

Gourmande in the Kitchen: String Bean and Pea Pasta with Spinach Pesto

With Style and Grace: Green Beans and Pickled Shallots

Kalyn’s Kitchen: Spicy Roasted Green Beans and Shrimp

Recipe Girl: Pickled Green Beans

Two Peas and Their Pod: Green Beans, Lemon and Feta Cheese

Dana Treat: Green Bean Salad with Mustard Seeds and Tarragon

Aggie’s Kitchen: Three-Bean and Vidalia Onion Salad

Sunset Magazine: Summertime Recipes for Green Beans

And my favorite … because we love grilling our green beans, too.

Michael Ruhlman: Grilled Green Beans

What’s your favorite way to serve or cook fresh green beans?

20 Responses to “RE Friday Round-Up: Fresh Green Beans”

Tiffany @ No Ordinary Homestead — August 12, 2011 @ 1:09 am

Yum, yum, YUM! Your recipe looks delish…and so many more new ones to try! We’re definitely going to have to see about growing some green beans next year in our garden. They’re not all the prevalent here in Germany.

Aggie — August 12, 2011 @ 5:59 am

Thank you for including me! loving these round ups! :)

Your barbecued beans up top look absolutely amazing Sandy!! I have to make them. Have a wonderful weekend!! xo

Christina — August 12, 2011 @ 6:02 am

Oh thank you!
    We love green beans too, and I’m always looking for new recipes!
    Thanks!
    xoxo

Maria — August 12, 2011 @ 6:57 am

Fresh green beans are the best! Thanks for including our recipe! Happy Friday!

Lori @ RecipeGirl — August 12, 2011 @ 6:58 am

Wow, thanks- all look so wonderful. Thanks for including my pickled version!

Mrs. Jen B — August 12, 2011 @ 7:05 am

Mmmmmm! I’m going to visit each and every one of these blogs! What gorgeous photos!

I love green beans with olive oil, lemon, minced garlic and sea salt. Maybe a bit of fresh grated parmesan on top. Yum!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — August 12, 2011 @ 7:58 am

yum. Those all look delicious! Have a great weekend

Julie @ The Family CEO — August 12, 2011 @ 9:21 am

I love your green bean memory. I remember my mom and grandma sitting with huge piles of fresh green beans and snapping the ends off. The photos look delicious!

Kalyn — August 12, 2011 @ 11:38 am

What a fun surprise! Thanks for the mention and for all these great ideas for green beans.

Barbara | Creative Culinary — August 12, 2011 @ 11:45 am

I’ve had a ho-hum relationship with green beans…maybe too many years of canned or frozen ones impact my memory bank. So, when I recently made a big pot of green beans (and it would not have happened if I hadn’t been shopping with a girl friend who grabbed some for both of us!) I was not prepared for how much I loved the result. I am not exaggerating when I tell you…it’s all I had for dinner; one great big bowl of green beans. I hope you don’t mind my sharing…this Green Bean, Mushroom and Onions dish will now grace our holiday table; we will NEVER have that canned mess brought to our house again!

Cherry — August 12, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

Oh, I love fresh green beans! Such beautiful photos! I have not tried leaving the stems on, or grilling them … thanks for the great ideas.

Bev Weidner — August 12, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

LOVE this. I love green beans. They are my boyfriend. XO!

Judy@Savoring Today — August 13, 2011 @ 6:11 am

I have eaten young green beans raw while standing in the garden, they are so sweet and tender. I grew up eating them with bacon, which remains my favorite, but when they are fresh from the garden a little salt and pepper is all I really need :)

Strawberry CAKE — August 13, 2011 @ 6:58 am

I love to roast them on a cookie sheet. olive oil salt and pepper….sometimes sesame oil and then tossed in a little soy sauce after….the skies the limit with green beans. We love them too!

Jessica — August 13, 2011 @ 7:51 pm

My mouth is watering! I totally regret not planting beans this year! What was I thinking?

Kelsey — August 14, 2011 @ 10:04 am

I have eaten canned green beans forever but my oh my I forget how lovely the fresh ones are. Like a totally different vegetable. Thanks for sharing; I can’t wait to try the one with shrimp.

teresa — August 14, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

Love grean beans…..so going to try the one with shrimp.
    Happy Day

Nancy — August 14, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

I used to love a recipe that was in a Sunset magazine cookbook. It contained green beans, tomatoes, lots of great italian seasonings and a bread crumb\butter\garlic topping. I can’t find the recipe but it was a family favorite for years!

Lindsey (One Sweet World) — August 15, 2011 @ 8:38 am

These all look so delicious! This recipe from Southern Living is one of my favorites –

It’s so good with so many of my favorite things. Green beans, grape tomatoes, goat cheese and almonds!

Kirstin — August 16, 2011 @ 6:46 pm

My favorite way recently is Teriyaki style…. http://troyerslovinglife.blogspot.com/2011/04/tasty-tuesday-teriyaki-green-beans.html

Your recipe sounds amazing too…I love pesto so think I may need to try this!

I can’t believe how far behind I am on reading up on your posts…yikes!