How to Make Zucchini Noodles with a Peeler

One of my favorite recipes in my book, The Reluctant Entertainer, is Zucchini Noodles.

Inspired by a lot of zucchinis in our yard every year (doesn’t everyone who gardens have a ton of zucchinis?) and simply a great way to teach kids how to eat zucchini, we make this recipe in the Coughlin home year round.

Do you know how to turn your vegetables into lovely noodles? It’s so easy and your kids can do it quickly with a good vegetable peeler!

It’s also a great technique for making ribbons with any summer squash, cucumbers, and melons. YUM!

By taking the beautiful zucchini from the garden, you peel the zucchini until you get to the center. (Then compost the center part or put into a soup! Or feed to your chickens!)

So easy for the kids to take part in, too.

And then there’s “yard beans” pickin’, too. We’re still harvesting ours.

Make your garlicky white sauce. Add the parmesan cheese and season to taste.

In olive oil, barely cook the zucchini to tender in a hot pan. Do NOT overcook.

Mix the two together and ENJOY!

We like to add chicken and whole wheat pasta.

Makes a nice presentation and is tasty beyond belief. Especially with garden tomatoes and fresh basil-ly yard beans. Mm-m-m ….

What do you do with extra zucchini from your garden? Or do you have a favorite atumn zucchini recipe?

16 Responses to “How to Make Zucchini Noodles with a Peeler”

Tara G. — September 27, 2011 @ 3:28 am

My oldest keeps begging me to make this again! We love it!! :)

Emily — September 27, 2011 @ 4:17 am

I thought this was such a clever use of zucchini in your book! We love to make breads and a zucchini chocolate chip cake with an orange glaze — yum!

Lois — September 27, 2011 @ 4:21 am

These look delicious and pretty easy! Zucchini is one of my favorite summer vegies. I love it steamed in the microwave with a little butter. Yum!

Bev Weidner — September 27, 2011 @ 10:38 am

Love. It.

Kathy — September 27, 2011 @ 6:44 pm

I’ve made ‘zucchini noodles’ for a salad,…I’ll try this recipe soon. Sounds tasty.

Laura — September 27, 2011 @ 6:45 pm

I made this for dinner tonight. I served it without pasta or chicken. Everyone except for my 10 year old loved it. She started crying as soon as she saw it! Oh well, we will definitely be serving this on a regular basis.

brie. — September 28, 2011 @ 2:20 am

umm. parmesan sauce? i might just die and go to heaven. sounds oh so good. yum.

Diane @ Longaberger Lifestyle — September 28, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

Sandy, you did it again!!! Fabulous!! I’d never have thought of it. Plus, it’s extra helpful as we enjoy pasta, but are eliminating wheat from our diets as much as possible for the health benefits (see the book ‘Wheat Belly’). And your photos are gorgeous!!! Thank you! I’m pinning this right now!

Ann — September 28, 2011 @ 8:08 pm

What a stunning dish! Not only delicious, but beautifully prepared! Thanks for sharing!

Maria Ortiz-Cintron — September 30, 2011 @ 9:57 am

How brilliant! I love it! Will try.

Sharon @ Hiking Toward Home — October 1, 2011 @ 4:27 am

I have got to try this one. Our family loves zucchini but we usually just throw it on the grill. This looks tasty as a winter comfort food… all that yummy looking creamy sauce.

Edith — October 14, 2011 @ 12:38 pm

This looks like a fantstic way to convince kids that their vegetables are cool and good to eat, especially with parmesan cheese.

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — September 12, 2012 @ 11:25 am

Gorgeous Summer produce – love this recipe!!

Catherine — September 23, 2013 @ 9:26 pm

Usually too tired to cook, a former favourite pastime. But tonight I took freshly picked Zucchini and made a lovely Ratatouille dish with rustic bread on the side, mopping up the garlicky juices. Mmmmmm!

1. Pingback: Reluctant Entertainer 2011 Round-Up - Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

2. Pingback: Artichoke and asiago zucchini “pasta”