The Real Miracle of Food is Communion Around the Table

With the holidays here, and as guests walk into our homes, the first thing they may see is our prepared table.

The table that reflects great warmth.

The table that reflects hospitality.

The table that says:

T Take the time
A Ask the right questions
B Break bread
L Listen
E Empathize

I love chef Alton Brown’s perspective on the table. When asked what the most important tool in his kitchen was, guess what his reply was?

The table. It doesn’t matter how good you are at performing great culinary acts of artistry if there isn’t the place for communion to happen. The words “communion” and “communicate” come from the same root word: “common,” meaning “to make common, to disperse commonly.” So to me, that’s the real miracle of food. When you take away the table and the act of service at the table, everything falls apart.”

Those words hit me hard. Think about the time when there is a lack of communion around the table. Negativity, dissension, jealousy, judgmental attitudes, pride … plain ol’ being full of self.

That’s not what I call communion.The experience starts to unravel.

So my hope is that you will take the time to enjoy and love the people sitting around your table this Thanksgiving.

Are you looking forward to your “table” experience this weekend?

7 Responses to “The Real Miracle of Food is Communion Around the Table”

Emily — November 23, 2011 @ 4:30 am

Happy Thanksgiving, Sandy! I hope you know how meaningful your posts have been for many people, including me. Your message of authentic connections is so important — and so especially perfect for this upcoming holiday season!

Richella at Imparting Grace — November 23, 2011 @ 5:59 am

I love that quotation from Alton Brown, Sandy–I’d never heard that before, but how true!

This Thanksgiving I’m thinking about the table wistfully. Preston (our 18-year-old freshman at Carolina) had to have emergency surgery on Sunday night. He’ll be in the hospital on Thanksgiving. For the past couple of years, Preston has prepared our Thanksgiving turkey (using Alton Brown’s recipe!). This year he’ll be lucky to get Jell-O. But we can still have communion, even if we’re eating from a hospital tray–or we can let everything fall apart. So much comes down to the choices we make, whatever our circumstances.

May you be blessed with a wonderful Thanksgiving. I am thankful to know you!

Darla — November 23, 2011 @ 6:18 am

Happy Thanksgiving to your and your family Sandy. I know you will be concentrating on the people and not the food. Everything you write speaks to that. Enjoy your day!

Darla

teresa — November 23, 2011 @ 7:07 am

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving- and thank you for your always wise words-

Heather @ new house, new home, new life — November 23, 2011 @ 3:20 pm

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with laughter, love and terrific food.

Ann — November 23, 2011 @ 10:48 pm

Happy Thanksgiving! There is NOTHING quite like family gathered around the table!

1. Pingback: Reluctant Entertainer 2011 Round-Up - Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening