RE Friday Round-Up: Radish Love!

I’m not too much into dazzling my guests with an over-the-top fancy garnish on their plate (mostly because I always seem to run out of time) :), but I will admit a simple garnish does make a plate look attractive.

My husband and recently ate at this cool restaurant, Porque no?, in Portland, Oregon, in the Mississippi District. The food was A-Mazing and we’re definitely going back.

Oh, and look at the simple garnish on the plate (above) … a radish!

Today for my Friday RE Round-Up I want to highlight radishes. I personally love the taste–the crunch, the spice, the color, the mystery–of a radish, and I asked my husband to please add them to add them to my “garden list” this year! We’ll see … :)

Here are some fabulous radish recipes!

Classic Green Garden Goddess Dressing and Wedge Salad by Geez Louise

Roasted Radish and Greens Salad by White on Rice

Asparagus and Radish Salad by The Meaning of Pie

Radish, Boursin, and Chive Tartines by TheKitchn

Cucumber and Radish Salad with Feta, Red Wine Vinegar, and Buttermilk Dressing by Kalyn’s Kitchen

Radishes with Sweet Butter and Chive-Sage Salt by Dana Treat

Radish Truffle Butter by Savory Sweet Life

Radish Sweet Pea Salad by Eating Richly

Sweet Pickled Daikon Radish by Serious Eats

Sweet Radish and Brussels Sprout Slaw by Life as a Plate

Black Radish and Grapefruit Salad by A Thought for Food

Pesto, Radish, and Sea Salt Crostini by Real Simple

I realize that you either love radishes or you hate them.

Whatever your preference, would you share how you love to eat them, or why you don’t like them?

Happy Weekend, Friends! :)

14 Responses to “RE Friday Round-Up: Radish Love!”

Darla — March 2, 2012 @ 6:08 am

I like radishes and find myself buying them in winter when not so much else is fresh and available. Remember radish roses as a garnish? I recall making them as a young housewife and thinking how accomplished I was :-) When is the last time you saw one? I think they have gone out of style.

Darla

Heather @ new house, new home, new life — March 2, 2012 @ 6:34 am

Not my favorite vegetable. But you’ve made them look inspiring. Have a great spring weekend.

Geez Louise! — March 2, 2012 @ 8:28 am

love em, thanks for featuring my green goddess wedge! happy weekend…

Deb Meyers — March 2, 2012 @ 8:44 am

Love them raw with sweet butter and salt or dipped in Ranch. Not very sophisticated :)

Try growing the French Breakfast radish… dainty long cylinders, they are sooooo pretty and taste great! Sweeter than the globe supermarket radish.

Kirstin — March 2, 2012 @ 9:07 am

Yummy! I love radishes! But have never really gotten creative with them….and that restaurant sounds great…may have to go hunt it down.

Elen Grey — March 2, 2012 @ 9:56 am

True Confessions: I live in a radish-free zone. It’s a pretty little thing, but burns the tongue. I do not like the radish. You need to talk to my mama! :-) These are beautiful radish shots, however, especially the Radish Sweet Pea Salad. I could hang it on my wall!!

Laura — March 2, 2012 @ 10:15 am

Love ‘em! Lately I’ve been slicing them very thin and adding them to salad with Rick Bayless’ queso anejo dressing. I love the crunch and the little kick they give it! Also, as a garnish when I make carnitas, like your first photo above.

It has been more than 10 years since I’ve been to Portland, but that restaurant is going on my list to visit if I ever get back there!

Kalyn — March 2, 2012 @ 10:28 am

I love radishes, either raw or cooked! Thanks for including my salad.

JulieD — March 2, 2012 @ 10:31 am

Wow, great round up…thanks! Alice’s raddish truffle butter sounds awesome!

Ashlee — March 2, 2012 @ 11:59 am

I was quite excited about this post when I read the title! Our CSA gave us a bunch of Radishes last week (We’re in Mississippi) and although I LOVE roasted radishes, I wanted to try something new.

Dayle — March 2, 2012 @ 12:57 pm

Oooh, I love me some radishes … and I want them raw , of course. Great with a green salad, and I love the idea of pairing them with cucumbers … maybe even do a radish/cucumber finger sandwich.

Sandyb — March 2, 2012 @ 1:46 pm

Now I just LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE radishes. I can remember when I was a little girl (a very long time ago) I thought it was really sweet when my mother would put those pretty little cuts fresh radishes from the garden and have them all the time in ice water on the table for our snack. Oh boy, if she were still with us, she would love this.

I can’t wait to get some good ones. I like the idea of having them with cucumbers! Oh I can just sit and eat them like grapes.

Thank you for this reminder that it will be time to start thinking about our garden!!!!

Eleanor — March 3, 2012 @ 6:49 pm

All I can think when I saw this was the “Radish Cure” from “Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle.” Did you read those books to your kids?

Aggie — March 7, 2012 @ 5:07 am

Oh I love radishes!! The tartines are calling my name!