Tiny Treasures and Fresh Cranberry Salad

As you go through the day, look for tiny treasures strategically placed along the way. -Sarah Young

Especially this time of year, the hustle and bustle of the season can really wear us down! I love the quote that reminds us to find the treasures in each day.

A few weeks ago I was in Bend, Oregon with my family. Each day I really looked for things that reminded me to be grateful. The little pleasures that brighten a day.

(On a walk with Haggis, our Cairn Terrier.)

Our family really gets in to shopping at Good Will (it’s fun in other cities), so on one quick trip to town, I found a lovely bowl for the “special” salad I was going to make for dinner.

Special holiday salad
Cranberry salad is perfect for the holidays. I love it for Christmas – it reminds me of my mother and my Aunt Barbara, who made this salad every year. Every year … I really don’t think they ever missed a year. My Aunt Barb still makes it, and her daughters. :)

Make the day before
I prepared the fresh berries in my KitchenAid food processor a day ahead.

My helper in the kitchen.

Then we added the grapes, nuts, and whipped cream.

And served.

Happy kids, great food, treasured time with the family.

I didn’t have to look far on this day for the blessings of family, but I did have to hunt down the bowl in the Good Will store. :)

Does your family have a traditional salad they make during the holidays?

I’d love for you to follow me on Instagram.

15 Responses to “Tiny Treasures and Fresh Cranberry Salad”

Kim in MD — December 7, 2012 @ 5:17 am

Awww…what a sweet post! Your family is so beautiful, Sandy! The cranberry salad looks delicious. I always make a salad I call “Christmas Salad”. Basically it’s a simple green salad with dried cranberries and goat cheese added. My family loves it!

Heather @ Heather's Dish — December 7, 2012 @ 8:27 am

We always do a Jell-O mold that my Mimi made up and I LOVE it! My sister and I would eat the whole thing in one sitting :)

Angie — December 7, 2012 @ 10:42 am

I have to make this! I use to make a another sweet cranberry salad, but with pineapple and jello, not nearly as good as this!
    And your family is so cute!

Tara @ Unsophisticook — December 7, 2012 @ 2:39 pm

We always make this “holiday cranberry salad” — a cranberry Jell-O combination that’s topped with a sour cream/cream cheese mixture: http://unsophisticook.com/cranberry-salad-recipe/

I love that yours uses fresh cranberries though. We’ll definitely give it a try!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — December 7, 2012 @ 4:58 pm

Amazing, I would just eat this with a spoon…all to myself!

Ad K. — December 7, 2012 @ 11:11 pm

Finally found a cousin that had my late MIL’s “green jello” salad recipe. It is a favorite of several in our extended family members and a must at family gatherings. Can’t wait to try yours as cranberries are a favorite among our family, it looks yummy and I’m sure there will be no leftovers!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — December 8, 2012 @ 7:12 am

Oooo Sandy I love that color! So pretty on the table.

Cathy @ Noble Pig — December 8, 2012 @ 7:44 am

I love a salad like this, especially with the crunch of the nuts.

Cindy — December 8, 2012 @ 8:38 am

We make this salad every year too except without the grapes!

Sherry V. — December 9, 2012 @ 4:36 pm

My mom always made something she called “Lime Salad” that is lime jello, crushed pineapple, chopped pecans, cottage cheese (and it used to have a cup of mayo in it but I leave that out to make it lighter). I am the only one in the family that still makes it and I LOVE it! I always make it for Christmas and it is very pretty on the table – green instead of red like yours. My mom has been gone several years now and I always think of her when I make it. I am so glad she and I made it together for many years because the recipe was not written down. Family tradition recipes are so special! Thanks for sharing yours with all of us!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — December 9, 2012 @ 8:33 pm

I really want to try this, it is similar to one my mother-in-law makes and it is so delicious. You have such a gorgeous family!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — December 12, 2012 @ 8:42 pm

Cranberry ANYTHING this time of year is good with me. But this salad looks especially beautiful – a great holiday dish!

Barbara — December 14, 2013 @ 10:40 pm

My aunt made the same jello salad every Thanksgiving too. She passed away and I still make it,. Ours is made with a cream cheese cherry dressing. Love it and the memories!

• Barbara replied: — December 14th, 2013 @ 10:42 pm

My previous reply was for Sherry regarding the green jello.

1. Pingback: This Tiny Treasures