Downton Abbey with Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Cauliflower

Have you ever combined cauliflower and sweet potatoes? It’s a cozy winter side dish that goes perfectly with the PBS show, Downton Abbey, airing on Sunday nights. Today I’m sharing this fabulous recipe!

Let’s talk Downton Abbey. I mean, it’s all the rage right now, so my husband and I finally added it in to our instant queue on Netflix, and now we’re officially “one of them.” (And by the way, it’s not “down-town” like everyone thinks … it’s pronounced “down-ton”) :) If you haven’t heard of it, Downton Abbey is a Masterpiece production, in its 3rd season now.

We’re sucked in. We love it. Such noble characters, standing up to bullies, a captivating storyline and brilliant dialogue … we’re into season 2 now and it’s become one of our favorite “cozy winter activities.”

When I think of cozy winter, I also think of good, hearty wintery meals.

Meals like this, served with this healthy side dish today.

So what about the combination of cauliflower and sweet potatoes? It was my friend, Steph, who lives in Portland, who introduced me to such a lovely combo this past summer.

What a great way to get your kids to eat veggies, too. (I saw her kids under 6 dive in, as if they were real “mashed potatoes.”)

You might want to try some of these wintery combinations, too:
Garlic Mashed Cauliflower from Closet Cooking
Mashed Cauliflower with a Butternut Squash Swirl from Dashing Dish
Caramelized Onion and Roasted Mashed Cauliflower from Peas & Crayons
Mashed Cauliflower and Cheese Gratin from The Cooking Bride
Creamy Cauliflower Purée from Skinny Taste

Have you ever mashed cauliflower and combined with other ingredients?

Are you a DTA follower, too? I’d love to hear if you’re “one of them.” :)

35 Responses to “Downton Abbey with Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Cauliflower”

Southern Gal — January 14, 2013 @ 5:16 am

I have a head of cauliflower in the refrigerator that I’ve been avoiding. I’m making this tonight!
    I love Downton Abbey. I missed part of Season 2 and kind of caught up with the reruns in December. I’m taping all the episodes this season so I don’t miss a single one.

Kim in MD — January 14, 2013 @ 5:45 am

I have never had sweet potatoes with cauliflower, but it sounds delicious!

I am hooked on Downton Abbey! I don’t watch a lot of tv series, because you have to watch them every single week to keep up, but I am in love with Downton Abbey. I was convinced that John Bates was innocent of his wife’s murder, but after the season premiere last week I’m not so sure!

• Sandy replied: — January 14th, 2013 @ 11:44 am

I agree. I still want to believe he did NOT kill her though.

Kim | At Home With Kim — January 14, 2013 @ 7:13 am

Literally, I think I’m the last person on the earth to have never seen Downtown Abbey! :) Love this casserole…. my son LOVES mashed potatoes. So I’m always looking for healthier variations. Sneaking cauliflower in is brilliant! Happy Monday Friend!!

Lisa @ The Cooking Bride — January 14, 2013 @ 8:01 am

Thank you for sharing my recipe for Mashed Cauliflower and Cheese Gratin. The other recipes you have listed look yummy! I’ll have to try them out.

Nancy — January 14, 2013 @ 8:47 am

I have always loved the period piece stories so starting with the first season I was hooked. I then got my husband hooked and then of all people my son-in-law who begrudgingly watched it once and now is hooked as well. The depth of the characters and the superb acting is such a switch from the standard fare we have to choose from on TV.

I’m not a fan of sweet potatoes but I may give this recipe a try! So what do you think? Did Mr. Bates really kill his wife? :)

• Sandy replied: — January 14th, 2013 @ 11:43 am

Nancy … that is the BIG question!?

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — January 14, 2013 @ 8:58 am

This sounds incredible!!! I’ve never combined the two!! Another tasty one to mash is kohlrabi. Love this, Sandy!

Heather @ Heather's Dish — January 14, 2013 @ 9:03 am

I’ve done cauliflower + Yukon golds, but never thought to do sweet potatoes. These sound amazing! And I love the texture cauliflower adds, although it doesn’t hurt to know that it’s all good for ya too ;)

Captain Micah — January 14, 2013 @ 9:13 am

Oh good grief. This is my favorite topic! I LOVE Downton Abbey. I would consider myself, happily, one of “those” fans! I particularly like Mr. Matthew Crawley, and Mr. John Bates. And Anna is such a sweetheart. And poor Edith.

I’m on my second watching, this time with a friend who just needed to see it! It has been so wonderful watching them AGAIN!

Yep. I’m a fan.

• Sandy replied: — January 14th, 2013 @ 11:42 am

I could see myself watching it twice, too! Captivating!

Elen Grey — January 14, 2013 @ 9:24 am

Love the Brits! They do period drama so well. Huge fan since the beginning. Well, huge Masterpiece theater fan. Kudos to Julian Fellowes!! Julian better write Edith some happiness soon. Hear me, Julian? ;-)

• Sandy replied: — January 14th, 2013 @ 11:41 am

ha ha! “hear me, Julian?” … would be fun to watch an episode together, Elen!

Carrie — January 14, 2013 @ 9:26 am

I am “one” of them! I love Downton Abbey but haven’t started watching this season yet. Never had the mashed cauliflower but it looks yummy!

• Sandy replied: — January 14th, 2013 @ 11:41 am

Carrie, we just started season 3. :)

Nancy — January 14, 2013 @ 10:24 am

I can hardly wait to try the sweet potatoes and cauliflower! and I am such a fan of Downton Abbey! Several co-workers had not heard of it before, so a couple weeks ago we had a tea party and watched the re-cap and ate blueberry scones and had a lovely time! What a great show to enjoy with friends!
    and I’m not sure about Bates…but I do love Anna, and she loves him :)

• Sandy replied: — January 14th, 2013 @ 11:40 am

I’ve heard of lots of people getting together to watch episodes together. What better way than with good food? :)

Tanya Phillips — January 14, 2013 @ 10:30 am

This sounds so good! Yep, we are “one of them too”, lol. After hearing all kinds of rave reviews, last year we just bought both seasons on blu-ray hoping it was as good as everyone said. Oh yes it is! We flew through both seasons in less than 2 weeks, so happy it’s back on again :D

• Sandy replied: — January 14th, 2013 @ 11:40 am

I think a lot of people who “dove in” were wondering if it was as good as everyone said. I agree! :)

Frieda's Farmhouse — January 14, 2013 @ 3:06 pm

I would have never thought to combine the two! But boy do they look tasty! I LOVE red sweet potatoes & my favorite way to eat them is to roast one & then put a fried egg & some good butter & spices on top. It sounds strange, but so good! Hope you have a wonderful week~

Cassie | Bake Your Day — January 14, 2013 @ 4:48 pm

I have never watched Downtown Abbey but I’ve heard so many good things about it. Love these potatoes though! I love sneaking in some extra veggies!

jenna — January 14, 2013 @ 6:02 pm

i love the idea of this. The sweet potato makes it so creamy. I can’t wait to try it.

CarrieB — January 14, 2013 @ 7:10 pm

I love love love Downton Abbey. I have always beeen a fan of all things English. The writing is fabulous. I am trying to think the best of Bates. I loved last night’s Mrs. Hughes and Mr. Carson story line. Hope they continue that one. ;) So glad I am not alone in my obsession. Oh and I adore Maggie. She gets all the best lines.

Amy's Cooking Adventures — January 14, 2013 @ 8:41 pm

Oh this looks delicious! What a great healthy side dish!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — January 14, 2013 @ 9:54 pm

I must try this, it’s so clever to mix the cauliflower in with sweet potatoes. I thought it was “downtown” until the Olympics last summer. I watched one episode on the internet and loved it. I just haven’t had time to set down and get into it.

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — January 15, 2013 @ 6:04 am

Sandy, I watched THREE episode of Downton Abbey last night, trying to catch up… We don’t watch a ton of TV and a friend just recently told me I needed to see it. I’m completely sucked in!

Angie — January 15, 2013 @ 8:45 am

This is so healthy, I can’t wait to make it! And I have to start the Downtown Abbey episodes, I’m so out of the loop!

Paula - bell'alimento — January 15, 2013 @ 1:37 pm

Late to the game on this one, I watched the first 2 seasons on my kindle in 3 days, I am now obsessed and look forward to Sunday evenings : )

Aggie — January 15, 2013 @ 3:30 pm

I just told Larry we need to start watching that show!! Love that its your winter activity :)

This looks delicious Sandy!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — January 15, 2013 @ 9:21 pm

I need to start watching this show!!! This dish looks so interesting to me, as I’ve been rediscovering cauliflower this past year. Yum!

Shaina — January 15, 2013 @ 10:07 pm

Love Downton. Weee!

JulieD — January 16, 2013 @ 8:59 pm

Okay I’m completely in love, love that you added cauliflower to your mashed sweet potatoes!

Tara @ Unsophisticook — January 17, 2013 @ 4:38 pm

I’ve seen so many people talking about this recently. Definitely need to check it out!

Jill B. — January 17, 2013 @ 9:44 pm

Absolutely yes to Downton Abbey….have streamed the past seasons via Netflix more than once. LOVE the grandmother especially!!! ;)

1. Pingback: Healthy Food Trend: Cauliflower | Aggie's Kitchen