Displaying Paper Napkins for Casual Get-Togethers

The winter months (football parties and casual get-togethers) are a good time to go through your entertaining supplies and use up miscellaneous napkins and paper products. Chutneys and dips from the holidays can also be well-used at this time.

Clean out, organize, use up … that’s my motto during these months.

For our most recent get-together, I pulled out a package of IKEA napkins left over from 4th of July.

Why not?

I saw this idea awhile back, and thought it was a classy way to make “buffet” entertaining easier, with the napkin already on the plate. What a great idea for Easter brunch this year, too!

Grab a plate.

And a fork.

Or, you can put the forks and napkins together in a fun container.

There’s really no right or wrong with entertaining.

When I start to over think these things, I try to remember why people are coming over to our house in the first place. (Fill in the missing words.)

It’s not about the _______, or things being _______, it’s all about the ________, who are coming to see our _________.

Right?

Right.

Are you good about pulling miscellaneous party supplies out and using them for casual get-togethers?

(The missing words: food, perfect, people, family.)

10 Responses to “Displaying Paper Napkins for Casual Get-Togethers”

Kim in MD — February 15, 2013 @ 6:06 am

I love the napkins in between the plates! I do use misc. party supplies for family dinners and BBQ’s. I use leftover red Christmas paper napkins for our July 4th BBQ. I’m funny…I don’t like to keep paper napkins around too long. I like them to be “fresh”! :-)

Stacey — February 15, 2013 @ 7:12 am

I love to collect pretty paper napkins from various places. Tuesday Morning always has lots of pretties for inexpensive prices. I have a drawer where lots of them are stashed. To keep them fresh they are all in ziplock bags.

Elen Grey — February 15, 2013 @ 7:41 am

So cute in between the plates! Don’tcha love IKEA. I was there a couple of weeks ago and picked up a bunch of paper napkins on sale. I love your bark container!! And to answer your question, I would have to say…. I’m getting better. Cheers!

Upscale Downhome — February 15, 2013 @ 8:27 am

Clever my friend, simple but very clever!

Cathy Pollak @ Noble Pig — February 15, 2013 @ 8:27 am

So cute Sandy. Love the napkins between the plates.

Diane | An Extraordinary Day — February 15, 2013 @ 8:31 am

Yes! It’s so fun when guests are expecting the usual luncheon napkin from the big package and get a colorful surprise…they always comment. I’ve been doing the napkin/plate stack…it’s really handy and can be a huge space saver, too.

Heather @ Heather's Dish — February 15, 2013 @ 8:52 am

This is such an adorable way to display napkins! We’re all about the casual entertaining, and this is going to be perfect for Weston’s birthday party coming up!

Deb Meyers — February 15, 2013 @ 9:08 am

I like that napkin/plate solution!

occasionally have styled a “use it up” buffet, mixing all the odd paper products together ( i think they look better grouped in a basket or tray, kind of like a fabric scrap basket). A solid or stripe table cloth unifies it visually. It’s fun and guests enjoy the surprise mix, never fails to elicit funny comments and memories of past good times.

katie — February 15, 2013 @ 10:04 am

Love this beautiful display for entertaining. The idea of stacking a napkin on a plate makes sense!

Tara G. — February 15, 2013 @ 11:08 am

I am a sucker for cute paper napkins. And I stocked up for our years overseas…still going through those! ha! But I have passed over many so I can go through the stash I have- that counts for decluttering, right?! I’m not adding to the problem! :)