Easy Grilled Spaghetti Squash Recipe
Easy Grilled Spaghetti Squash Recipe is tender, sweet, and a great pasta replacement. Serve with Parmesan cheese, fresh tomatoes and herbs. WATCH THE VIDEO!
Happy Thursday, Friends. There’s a chill in the air and a beautiful breeze as I’m writing this today. When the cooler weather hits, I just get … giddy! Or, should I say cooler mornings? We still have some HOT days ahead.
Grilled Spaghetti Squash
Looking for an easy side dish that’s healthy during grilling season? This Grilled Spaghetti Squash has the simplist ingredients, and it’s low carb. If you love a grilling “char” flavor, then this side dish (or main dish) will become a new family favorite. Keep reading for the ways that you can serve it.
Easy Grilled Spaghetti Squash Recipe
I love this time of year, harvested squash, potatoes, tomatoes, cabbage. Farmer’s Market garden treats are brimming in the baskets right now, and one of our standard squashes to enjoy is Grilled Spaghetti Squash.
Love the Mackenzie-Childs black and white (Courtly Check) plate? You can check out more products to buy!
Courtly Check Oval Platter [afflink]
A few years back, we video’d 8 recipes in one day in my old kitchen. I sure do miss our cute little mountain home, but we do love the more modern home we live in now.
We had a fantastic film crew, and of course I had lots of help from my daughter and one of my best friends who lives in my little community.
Variations of cooking spaghetti squash
Serve with marina sauce on top (or with spaghetti meat).
Add my Hearty Ragu Sauce recipe on top of grilled spaghetti squash in place of pasta!
Finely chop fresh herbs for a topping.
Sprinkle garlic powder or minced garlic along with the salt and pepper when you are preparing it.
Always top with Parmesan cheese. Cheese makes everything better!
Drizzle Alfredo sauce over the squash, too. Add in grilled chicken and it makes a fantastic meal.
How to prepare spaghetti squash
I call this recipe today my 1, 2, 3 recipe … because it’s so easy.
- Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Season and place on the grill and cook until tender.
- Use a fork to cut the spaghetti squash flesh into strings, then scoop out with a spoon.
How to make Grilled Spaghetti Squash
- Heat the grill to medium-high; prepare the squash. Time the squash to be done cooking at the time of the other dishes you will be serving.
- Spray or drizzle olive oil on the flesh of the spaghetti squash. Sprinkle with seasoning. Place on the grill cut side down for about 25-30 minutes; test with a fork to see that it is soft and ready for fleshing. (We do not flip it over.)
- Season with salt and pepper and more seasonings, if desired. Serve hot with Parmesan cheese.
- Optional to add fresh or canned tomaotes (we love Tuttorosso Tomatoes), fresh herbs, and a drizzle of olive oil.
Tools needed to make spaghetti squash
- Cutting knife
Versatility Spaghetti Squash
Spaghetti squash is a very versatile yellow winter squash, which we love to replace pasta or rice with, when we’re trying to eat lower carbs.
When I think of food, I like to think about the origin of where I learned to cook with a certain ingredient, such as spaghetti squash. I mean, I don’t remember eating this kind of squash as a kid … do you?
So good, since we are loving grilling several times a week. We also love this recipe as leftovers! YUM!
More spaghetti squash recipes:
How to Microwave Spaghetti Squash [Mama Loves Food], Greek Salad Spaghetti Squash Bowl [Kalyn’s Kitchen], and Low Carb Slow Cooker Spaghetti Squash [All Day I Dream About Food].
Get the Recipe:
Grilled Spaghetti Squash
- 2 whole spaghetti squash
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Paprika or favorite seasoning, we love Lawry's Seasoning Salt
- Parmesan cheese
- Fresh herbs, we love Oregano
- Fresh or canned tomatoes
- Heat the grill to medium-high. If your grill has temperature settings, set it for 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and turn both both pieces flesh side up. Spoon or scoop out the seeds.
- Spray or drizzle olive oil on the flesh of the spaghetti squash. Sprinkle with seasoning (we love salt, pepper, and paprika). Place on the grill over medium high heat cut side down. Grill for about 25-30 minutes and test with a fork that it is soft and ready for fleshing. (No need to flip over.)
- Season with more salt and pepper and more seasonings, if desired. Serve hot with Parmesan cheese, fresh or canned tomatoes, and your favorite herb!
The recipe for Grilled Spaghetti Squash is a high-temperature cooking process, and I have cooked with organic ghee instead of using olive oil. Organic ghee is a nutritious oil that offers wellness support and better flavor. Will it be good choice?
Your text says to place the squash cut side up, but your video shows it cut side up?
Your still photos also seem to indicate that the squash was on the grill cut side down, meaning the opening was on the grill.
Hi there, cut side DOWN like the video and pictures shows. Thanks Ken!
This looks delicious! I’ve never tried grilling spaghetti squash but now I am going to!
Looks good. I’m learning to like spaghetti squash. I love other squashes, but I think it’s a texture thing trying to get used to this..lol.
Yum!! We’re trying to eat more low carb dishes, so this is perfect. Looks so delicious!
I had recently tried spaghetti squash for the first time and found a flavourful recipe seasoning the squash generously with garlic. The drawback for me was that the whole house smelled strongly of garlic. I was eager to try this grilled version. It turned out very tasty! I did find it took closer to 55-60 minutes until the squash was tender. Smoked paprika is a great flavour for this squash!
Hi Sandy, what a great idea for cooking spaghetti! MUST try this myself. Just letting you know that I featured this recipe in my round-up of 25 Deliciously Healthy Low-Carb Recipes from September 2014. Hope a lot of my readers will click over here and try the recipe!
Thank you Kayln! I always love your #MeatlessMonday posts!
I have always just used it as a replacement for pasta but this looks fantastic. I never would have thought of it. Will be trying it in a day or two. Thanks!
I love everything about this simple dish!
Keeping this recipe…we are always on the hunt for low carb recipes =)
This sounds amazing Sandy!! Oh how I want to eat this entire meal at your house, so fresh!! I love how you prepared the spaghetti squash. I have only had it with sauce (Italian style), I will try this!
That little dash of Parm on the top makes the spaghetti squash sing!