Mexican Flan Cake
This post may contain affiliate links.
Cinco de Mayo desserts are a big hit served at spring and summer parties! Everyone loves a festive Cinco de Mayo Mexican Flan Cake! Watch the VIDEO below!
Back by popular demand, I shared this Mexican Flan Cake recipe 4 years ago here on RE. Because it’s delicious for any Mexican Feast, I want to share it with you today (plus watch the video below!).
Friends, I’ve made this dessert for years, and guests LOVE it. I also appreciate it because it’s so rich, so you can serve smaller pieces, up to 12 servings!
Cinco de Mayo Desserts
My favorite way to serve flan is warm, within an hour of coming out of the oven! If you want a spin of lime and almonds, this Almond Lime Flan Cake is fantastic, too. Or, quick and easy? This Raspberry Cream Galettes is super pretty, light, and delicious!
Flowers in cans
In the past I’ve reused colorful cans for flower arrangements, Repurposing Cans for a Fiesta Party Tabletop. I always forget this easy tip, and it’s so festive for a party.
Instead of spending hours making the perfect Cinco de Mayo centerpiece, you can keep it simple by opening a can of food (hopefully using it in a recipe), washing and drying out the can, and then filling with a beautiful, vibrant bouquet for a party tabletop.
I really love the bright colors of Mexican-themed parties, don’t you?
Repurposing cans into vases also adds that quirky, special touch to a table, which I love.
The quirkier the better, and it’s fun to play around with the look of a table setting. But when it comes to dessert? There’s no messing around in that department. :)
Mexican Flan Cake
Now for this easy flan recipe. You need a little time to put it together (caramlize the sugar mixture, prepare the batter, bake for 30 minutes), but when it comes out of the oven, it smells SO good.
Then allow it to cool for about 20 minutes and flip it over onto your favorite serving platter!
I’m also curious if you love to make flan, how many times a year do you serve it to guests? I’d say around 2 for me. I don’t know why I don’t make this dessert more often. It’s always a HUGE hit!
What’s your favorite way to make flan?
Watch the video!
Mexican Flan Cake
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups milk, (not skim)
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 16 oz pound cake mix
- 1/2 cup milk, (not skim)
- 2 eggs
- Spray an 11-inch round baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan. While stirring to dissolve the sugar, bring to a full boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium low; let cook 20 to 25 minutes, until sugar turns golden brown and caramelizes. Do not stir. Quickly pour caramelized sugar mixture into baking pan, tilting to evenly cover the bottom of the pan with the glaze. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl whisk together 1 1/2 cups milk, egg yolks, condensed milk, vanilla, and cinnamon until well blended. Pour over the caramelized sugar mixture in the pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine cake mix, 1/2 cup milk, and eggs, and mix well. Spoon batter evenly over the custard mixture.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool 20 minutes. Loosen edge with knife. Invert dessert onto a large heat-resistent serving plate.
- Serve warm or cold. Store leftover dessert covered in the refrigerator.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.