Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
If you’re an Oreo cookie lover then these Cookies and Cream Cupcakes are for you! They are super moist, creamy, and perfect for any party!
These Cookies and Cream Cupcakes are super creamy and fluffy: A dreamy dessert to bring to any potluck. They have a thick buttercream frosting on top, with large chunks of Oreo cookies. Every bite is amazing! Cookie crumbs are in the frosting- plus a giant cookie right in the cupcake.
Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
For a special treat for a party or just because, these Oreo Cookies and Cream Cupcakes are the creamy bite of dessert that you might be looking for. We’ve been enjoying these for years. My Dad’s wife, Ginny, has made these cupcakes for years, and they are the best treats for our family gatherings.
When we made these Cookies and Cream Cupcakes (inspired by Bakerita) back in 2016–they’ve been a great recipe for holidays and special events. Think Mother’s Day, Memorial Day, Father’s Day and Fourth of July.
Why we love this recipe
- It’s fun (and delicious) for any holiday, especially spring and summer holidays.
- Perfect for any party.
- Super easy to make–quick to be devoured!
What are cookies and cream cupcakes made of?
Gather these ingredients:
- Oreo cookies
- Devil’s food cake mix: you can use your favorite kind of chocolate cake mix
- Instant chocolate pudding mix: you can add your favorite pudding flavor
- Good quality Greek yogurt: you can also use sour cream
- Canola oil
- Unsalted butter
- Powdered sugar
- Heavy cream, or milk
- More crushed Oreo cookies
How do you make Oreo cupcakes?
- Line cupcake tin with paper liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Place 1 whole Oreo in the bottom of each cupcake liner.
- With a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, beat together the cake and pudding mixes, sour cream, oil, eggs, vanilla and water mixture.
- Using a large cookie scoop or a large spoon, fill each muffin cup 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake until the tops of the cakes spring back when lightly touched. Allow cupcakes to cool inside cupcake tins, then remove to cool on wire rack.
- To prepare the frosting, whip butter on medium speed. Butter will very creamy.
- Add the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract, and mix together. Add in crushed Oreos and mix to incorporate completely.
- Frost cooled cupcakes immediately. If desired, top with more crushed Oreo cookies to garnish.
Tips and substitutions:
- Optional to replace the sour cream with a good quality yogurt.
- Make the cupcakes any flavor – use your favorite cake mix.
- Swap out the pudding mix for your favorite flavor.
- Pour the pudding powder right into the cake mix itself. No need to prepare the actual pudding with milk, etc.
- Also optional to use any kind of sandwich cookie, rather than chocolate Oreo cookies.
- Frosting recipe – with 20 cupcakes, there is about 1/3 cup of frosting leftover. Spread on graham crackers and refrigerate for the prefect sweet treat!
How to store the cupcakes:
We store these cupcakes in a tupperware container with a lid, in the fridge. Because of the butter frosting, they are best in the fridge.
Remove from the fridge and let set out about 10 mintues before serving.
Be sure to try some of our other chocolate cookie recipes:
We’ve been eating these for years.
Nostalgia has never tasted so good! :) I mean, don’t we all love a good Oreo cookie?
Get the Recipe:
Oreo Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
- 30 Oreo cookies
- 1 15.25 ounce Devil’s food cake mix
- 1 3.4 ounce instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup good quality Greek yogurt, or sour cream
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten, at room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup warm water
Make the frosting:
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter, softened (3 sticks)
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream, or milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 18 Oreo cookies, crushed into crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake tin with paper liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Place 1 whole Oreo cookie in the bottom of each cupcake liner.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or use hand mixer), beat together the cake and pudding mixes, Greek yogurt, oil, eggs, vanilla and water mixture. Beat for about two minutes on medium speed until well combined.
- Using a large cookie scoop, or a large spoon, fill each cupcake cup ⅔ of the way full.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes or until the tops of the cakes spring back when lightly touched. Allow cupcakes to cool inside cupcake tins for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from tins and allow to fully cool on a wire rack. Once cupcakes are cool, prepare your frosting.
Make the frosting:
- Whip butter for 5 minutes on medium speed. Butter will very creamy.
- Add the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. Mix on low speed for 1 minute, and then on medium speed for 5 minutes. Add in crushed Oreo cookies and mix to incorporate completely, about 1 minute.
- Frost cooled cupcakes immediately. Optional to top with more crushed Oreo cookies to garnish.
Hello and welcome to my home and table!
I’m Sandy—lover of food, family, cooking, THE BIG BOARD, travel, and bringing people together. Through great recipes and connection around the table, we become better, stronger, and more courageous people. Feasting on Life is real, and every time we do it, we grow a little more. Read more...