Rice Cooker Tips and Fruit and Nutty Brown Rice
Today I’m shairng Rice Cooker Tips and Fruit and Nutty Brown Rice recipe, delicious served with Coconut Milk Chicken Thighs!
What I love about cooking is making a lot of food. I’m always thinking ahead to what nights we’ll be crunched for time, and what nights I won’t be home.
A few weeks ago, I made an outstanding recipe that was so healthy and filling, and very different. Fruit and Nutty Brown Rice. You may have seen it in the photos from this post (The Joy of Soy and Chicken Thighs) … several people asked for the recipe.
First of all, do you own a rice cooker? I love my rice cooker and use it more than my slower cooker!
Here are the top 4 items that I cook in our rice cooker:
1. Brown rice
3. Black rice
4. Mix of rices
People don’t realize how easy it is to measure, pour in the liquid, and hit the button! Beautiful rice is ready usually within an hours’ time. Then you add other ingredients, plus fresh herbs, and it’s a meal in itself!
Here are some tips that I’ve found helpful in using the rice cooker:
1. You may need to experiment with the liquid amount, but I’ve found 1 cup of rice to 1 1/2 cups of liquid works great for the 4 kinds listed above.
2. You never stir the rice while it’s cooking. Once you shut the lid and hit “start” you can walk away until the rice is ready to serve. So easy!
3. If you find your rice sticking together more than you like, add a few teaspoons of oil to the mixture before you start the cooking process.
4. Using a rice cooker is a great way to keep your rice hot until it’s ready to serve. Even if you unplug it after it’s finished cooking, it will remain hot.
Do you own a rice cooker? What kind of rice does your family enjoy the most?
This recipe is delcious seved with Coconut Milk Chicken Thighs!
Fruit and Nutty Brown Rice
- 3 cups brown rice
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cups scallions finely sliced
- 1 cup toasted coconut
- 1 cup walnuts toasted and chopped
- 1 cup Craisins plumped and drained
- Your favorite seasoning
- 2-3 Tbsp. olive oil
- Cook your rice with appropriate liquid if cooking on stove, or above measurements if using rice cooker.
- Remove rice from pan or cooker and place in a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients; season to taste.
- Toss and serve.
Are you following me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest? If you’d like to subscribe to Reluctant Entertainer, to have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box, then please add your email, here. It’s really easy! Thanks for being here today!