Fresh Summer Spring Rolls
This post may contain affiliate links.
Fresh Summer Spring Rolls are packed with vegetables (and chicken), rolled in lettuce leaves and rice paper, for a tasty snack or meal.
Happy Wednesday! We’re coming along in our home improvement projects, and just finished our master bathroom. This week the sun is shining bright in central Oregon, and we’re delighting in Fresh Summer Spring Rolls for a quick meal or grab-and-go snack.
And friends, I want to tell you about my new book out this year, Big Boards for Families! You can preorder it now!
Fresh Summer Spring Rolls
What’s the difference between spring rolls and summer rolls?
Ingredients for Summer Spring Rolls
All you need are these ingredients:
- Chicken breasts
- Shredded carrots
- Romaine lettuce
- Rice noodles
- Rice paper sheets
- Rice vinegar
- Favorite dipping sauces
This recipe makes the perfect light appetizer or lunch!
But feel free to substitute the chicken for shrimp, slices of cooked pork, salmon, or make them vegetarian.
Replace the cilantro with mint or basil, and you can even change out the rice paper sheets for just lettuce leaves!
Or replace the romaine lettuce leaves for butter crunch leaves.
Tip on using rice paper sheets
Use cool water to soak the rice paper sheets, to prevent them from becoming too sticky. They are fragile, and if the water is to warm (or hot), it becomes quite hard to roll. It only takes a few extra minutes for them to soak in cooler water. (It’s true, hot water softens them right away:)
Too hot of water, and the rice papers stick to everything.
Do summer rolls keep?
More Spring Rolls recipes:
If you’re new to making spring rolls, here’s a photo tutorial how to roll spring rolls from White on Rice Couple!
Also here’s a delicious recipe: Grilled Shrimp Vietnamese Spring Rolls recipe from Foodie Crush.
Don’t forget my delicious Salmon Spring Rolls (fresh, not fried).
The more summer rolls you make and eat, the better you’ll get at making and eating them!
What’s your favorite Snack Dinner?
Summer Spring Rolls
- 3 chicken breasts, sliced in half seasoned to personal preference (teriyaki) or rotisserie chicken
- 4 shredded carrots
- 1 cucumber, julienned
- 1 head of romaine
- ⅓ package rice noodles
- 10 rice paper sheets
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar, to add to carrot and cucumber
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Fully cook the chicken breasts, and cut into 16 strips. (Or use rotisserie chicken.)
- Cut and wash full leaves of romaine; remove the leaves.
- Peel cucumber and slice into strips lengthwise.
- Shred the carrots.
- Combine 2 tbsp rice vinegar with 2 tbsp sugar.
- Divide sweetened rice vinegar in half, adding half to cucumber and half to shredded carrot; set aside.
- Cook the rice noodles in boiling salted water for 3-4 minutes; drain. Immediately rinse with cold water and drain again.
- Fill a flat dish with warm (coolish) water and place rice sheet in water for 15-30 seconds. Lay on dry towel to remove excess water. [never use hot water.]
- On flat plate or cutting board, place wet rice paper flat (this part is tricky). Without over stuffing—(to avoid ripping the rice sheet)—place romaine leaf, chicken, cucumber, rice noodle, cilantro, and carrots side by side on sheet. Carefully roll ingredients into the paper, making sure to tuck in the sides.
- Serve with peanut or sweet chile sauce.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.