Salmon Spring Rolls Recipe
This Salmon Spring Rolls Recipe is a delightful dish made with leftover salmon and fresh veggies, for a perfect weeknight dinner!
Last night, my husband and I felt like little kids again, under the stars, with the giant moon staring down on us. For a last minute date, we went to our community’s outdoor movie night, and had a blast. A blast, as in, we just sat together, sipping wine, holding hands, experiencing funny parts and terrifying parts of the movie, giving each other an occasional hand or back rub.
Togetherness is nothing new to us. We’ve been married 25 years now, and have tried as hard as possible to keep regular date nights. Of course, we have not been perfect. But we’ve had success!
Even as simple as a walk to the river, an overnight trip in our VW Vanagon, or sitting in our backyard (or now, on our deck). Most of the times spent together have involved no money, but just taking some time … to show up, open up, listen, be honest and brave with each other. We relax … we put away the agenda.
Sometimes life involves words, sometimes not. Like last night–physical touch, no words – just laughing and enjoying entertainment together. I tried to take a picture, with the full moon, but you know how that goes with an iphone in the dark.
Life is slower over here in our new home. We’ve learned to say no, we’re learning (but have not been perfect) to control our calendar more, and let people know what works best for us. Since our kids are here, too, and their friends are coming and going, we all work together to make sure that our home is a fun place to be (not chaotic), and we juggle the guests.
Juggling has always been pretty easy for me, but I actually want to do less of it. If you know what I mean …
The nights I don’t want to make dinner, I ask a family member to jump in.
Of course with adult kids now, everyone seems to have a pretty good attitude. Yay.
Salmon Spring Rolls
Our favorite summer meal has been Abby’s spring rolls, this time made with leftover salmon. We are a salmon-eating family, or I should say salmon-loving. We eat it several times a week, and the leftovers often make the BEST recipes.
Super easy, fresh and delicious, Abby’s Salmon Rolls are really good. Use Thai sauce, because for me, rolls are all about the dipping!
What do you do to keep costs down for date nights?
Salmon Spring Rolls Recipe
- 2 cups leftover cooked salmon
- 4 shredded carrots
- 1 cucumber, julienned
- 1 head of romaine
- 1/3 package rice noodles
- 10 rice paper sheets
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar (to add to carrot and cucumber)
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- Place 2 cups of leftover salmon in a bowl, and break into large chunks.
- Cut and wash full leaves of romaine; remove the leaves.
- Peel cucumber and slice into strips lengthwise.
- Shred the carrots.
- Combine 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar with 2 Tbsp. sugar.
- Divide sweetened rice vinegar, adding half to cucumber and half to shredded carrot; set aside.
- Cook the rice noodles in boiling salted water for 3-4 minutes; drain. Immediately rinse with cold water and drain again.
- Fill a flat dish with warm water and place rice sheet in water for 15-30 seconds. Lay on dry towel to remove excess water.
- On flat plate or cutting board, place wet rice paper flat (this part is tricky). Without over-stuffing (to avoid ripping the rice sheet), place romaine leaf, salmon, cucumber, rice noodle, cilantro, and carrots side by side on sheet. Carefully roll ingredients into the paper, making sure to tuck in the sides.
- Serve with peanut or sweet chile sauce.