Mexican Muffin Recipe and Weelicious Lunches Giveaway
Today I’m sharing a recipe that my friend Catherine McCord, who blogs over at Weelicious, has included in her new book, Weelicous Lunches, Think Outside the Lunch Box, with more than 160 Happier Meals!
You can head right over to Amazon and order this book, or you can enter to win a copy today, as I’m giving away 2 copies!
I love Catherine, her vibrant personality, and her passion for healthy cooking and kids. Since my kids are older now, 2 in college and 1 in high school, I think back to all the lunches I made. I can honestly say I wish I had had a healthier approach back then, which is why I wanted to host this giveaway today. Heathy eating for kids is something I strongly believe in and feel it’s so important for our upcoming generation.
On average, children attend school 180 days in a year. While it’s not practical to expect 180 different lunches, packing the same meal every day can be redundant and nutrtion-starved.
In steps Catherine with her new book with recipes for making healthy lunches for your kids!
This book gets parents organized, gives all the ideas you need for packing lunches, and relieves the guilt of the traditional PB&J we have all made over and over again.
My hand is in the air. I did that!
Here’s another thing that I appreciate as I read from cover to cover, Catherine’s new book. She does a fantastic job of engaging the 5 senses (think colors, shapes, and textures), and gives tips on stocking the pantry, and helps with allergies and picky eaters, too.
You may ask how complicated can a lunch be? Well, I think our kids get tired of eating the same things, and Catherine’s approach to health with “out-of-the-box” lunch ideas, such as salads, soups, pizza, dips, snacks, and more, can relieve that guilt for so many parents.
Today I’m sharing Catherine’s Mexican Muffin recipe that I just made last week. YUM! These muffins have chicken in them, and you can double, or triple, or quadruple the recipe and freeze them to use in the months ahead.
I love being prepared, so I’m encouraging you to step out of your comfort zone and try some of the Weelicious Lunches for your family!
2 WINNERS will be chosen on Wednesday at 9 pm PT. US entrants only, please.
COMMENT TO WIN: Tell me why you’d like to win this book?
Optional (for extra entries):
Like Weelicious on Facebook
Like Reluctant Entertainer on Facebook
Follow SandyCoughlinRE and Weelicious on Instagram
Tweet the giveaway and come back and tell us!
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg whisked
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/3 cup mexican cheese blend mozzarella, cheddar, monterrey jack
- 1/4 cup corn kernels frozen or fresh
- 1/2 cup cooked chicken diced
- Heat oven to 375°F and spray and muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, tomato paste, honey, cheese, and corn.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Gently fold in the chicken.
- Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full of batter.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.