What to do with Zucchini: Make Delicious Noodles!

One of my favorite recipes in my new book, The Reluctant Entertainer, is Zucchini Noodles. Inspired by a lot of zucchinis in our yard every year (doesn’t everyone who gardens have a ton of zucchinis?) and simply a great way to teach kids how to eat zucchini, we make this recipe in the Coughlin home year round.

Beautiful zucchini from the garden, you peel the zucchini until you get to the center. (Then compost the center part or put into a soup! Or feed to your chickens!)

So easy for the kids to take part in.

Make your garlicky white sauce. Add the parmesan cheese and season to taste.

In olive oil, barely cook the zucchini to tender in a hot pan. Do NOT overcook.

Mix the two together and ENJOY!

We like to add chicken and whole wheat pasta.

Makes a nice presentation and is tasty beyond belief. Especially with garden tomatoes and fresh basil. Mm-m-m ….

Zucchini Noodles with Parmesan Sauce
12 small zucchini
2 T. olive oil
salt and pepper

Sauce
10 garlic cloves, pressed
2 T. olive oil
2 cups whipping cream
1 cup fresh, grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper

With potato peeler create long, wide zucchini ribbons by starting at the top of each zucchini and peeling down the length of it.

Heat a large skillet and add the olive oil and ribbons. Saute for approx. 2-3 minutes; do not overcook. Salt and pepper to taste.

In a saucepan, saute the pressed garlic in olive oil. Add the whipping cream, turn the heat to high, and sir until it begins to boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 10 minutes; Add the Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Pour over the noodles and serve.

What do you do with extra zucchini from your garden? Or do you have a favorite summertime zucchini recipe?

(This recipe is on page 55 in my new book, The Reluctant Entertainer! You can buy a copy from Amazon, here, or get a signed copy, here.)

25 Responses to “What to do with Zucchini: Make Delicious Noodles!”

Tara G. — August 31, 2010 @ 3:49 am

Chocolate zuch. cake- YUMMY! I love this recipe and am going to see what I can scrounge up at the market next time I go. I’m dying for a banana- they’re scarce right now!

Christi {Jealous Hands} — August 31, 2010 @ 4:56 am

We like to make zucchini sticks (like you would get cheese sticks in a restaurant) with breadcrumbs & parmesan cheese baked in the oven. We also like it raw with lemon juice, a little olive oil & shaved parmesan. Yummy!

Yvonne — August 31, 2010 @ 5:08 am

This is the greatest recipe. I still have a couple of zucchini left so this recipe will be on the menu next week. It sounds so yummy and the zucchini makes it good for you too!
    Look for it on StoneGable’s menu.
    Thanks for the recipe, and beautiful pictures.
    Yvonne

Lynn from For Love or Funny — August 31, 2010 @ 5:12 am

Zucchini is my favorite vegetable, so I can’t wait to try this!

april — August 31, 2010 @ 5:20 am

Oh, it looks absolutely WONDERFUL. I would SO eat this. Kids, not so much, but I never know!
    When you mentioned composting the middles, all I could think(I AM a southern girl!)was, “NO! FRY THEM!” :-)
    The seedy middles of the (young)zucchini are amazing dredged in cornmeal with S&P and FRIED.
    Not very healthy, but even my non-veggie eaters eat them–and we don’t fry anything very often, so I’m not going to feel guilty over it!
    We have an onslaught of basil right now, so I may just go rob(sweetly) my father-in-law’s garden boxes for enough little squashes to make this dish.
    Thanks for sharing!

ana @ i made it so — August 31, 2010 @ 5:59 am

this is such a great idea! i’m a recent follower of your blog, and i am having fun digging through older posts… congratulations on the new book!

Beau @ SomethingEdible.com — August 31, 2010 @ 6:46 am

I’ve been so busy, frying, roasting, grilling and baking with my zukes, that I forgot about this application. Thanks for the reminder!
    I’ve been keen on my serrated peeler lately; might have to try it on these noodles and see what happens to the texture.

Jessica @ This Blessed Life — August 31, 2010 @ 7:28 am

Wow, that looks mouthwatering!

Kirstin — August 31, 2010 @ 7:29 am

okay…yummy. I’m going to try this! I usually make lots of zucchini bread or stir fry or just cook it up as a side dish.

Tickled Red — August 31, 2010 @ 7:30 am

Great idea and delicious!! I am going to try it slip them past the monkey’s picky palates this weekend :)

Kirstin — August 31, 2010 @ 7:32 am

I forgot! I love to make stuffed zucchini as well. Yummy!!!

deb meyers — August 31, 2010 @ 7:49 am

we first made zucchini noodles from Suzanne Sommer’s books, but never with such a delicious looking sauce! Will try this soon, thanks Sandy.

Cindy Lakin — August 31, 2010 @ 11:25 am

I’m making these noodles tonight, but with a red meatball sauce.

Mary Rarick — August 31, 2010 @ 1:43 pm

What a fantastic idea. I bet my kids would even eat this!

lisa — August 31, 2010 @ 3:35 pm

My mom supplies me with fresh Zuchini from HER garden. I add it to carrot cake and shred extra for spaghetti sauce. Your dinner looks so good…especially with the basil!

Gina — August 31, 2010 @ 3:35 pm

Well, I’ve been feeling stumped with the extra zucchini from our garden-we can only give so much away before our friends see us with a bag of green stuff and run the other way. :) I’ll be trying this for sure!

Aggie — August 31, 2010 @ 6:21 pm

Oh my goodness!!! This looks amazing! I can’t believe I’ve never tried this before.

I like zucchini muffins and zucchini fritter cakes. YUM

Amy from She Wears Many Hats — August 31, 2010 @ 6:39 pm

Delish!!! What a tasty side that’s low carb too. YUM!

Pinky — September 1, 2010 @ 10:28 am

OMG, you have my mouth watering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can’t wait to try this one!!!!

Marie — September 8, 2010 @ 9:26 am

Okay, that looks awesome! I’ll be making this for dinner tonight. I have a yummy pesto sauce that would be perfect on these.

Chef Basket — November 12, 2010 @ 3:28 pm

Great post on zucchini. I think the idea of using them as noodles is really creative. The pictures look great!

Terra — July 23, 2011 @ 10:03 pm

I never thought to do this, I am so glad I happened along this blog! This recipe looks fantastic:-)
    Take care, Terra

1. Pingback: Zucchini Noodles: I’m not afraid to show you the Mess! — Reluctant Entertainer

2. Pingback: charo : : Weekly Menu - Hit Stuff!

3. Pingback: Weekly Menu