Day 21: Create a Simple Appetizer Basket for Last Minute Guests

Thanks for joining me in my “30 Days of Summer Entertaining” series. (Scroll down to the bottom for previous posts in this series) :)

I was recently inspired by a magazine that I was flipping through at the airport, that made me think of my picnic utensil basket hanging in my garage. A basket that is a caddy for entertaining.

What a brilliant idea for making it fun for the guests! And also to be somewhat organized for last-minute guests.

For summer entertaining, this is something you can keep on hand and stock with:
Napkins
Appetizer forks
Small canning jars

Then when your last-minute guests show up, you can fill the jars with olives, forks, breadsticks, mozzarella balls, or even fresh flowers.

They don’t have to be heavy appetizers, but light and fresh, and serve with your choice of drinks.

In what way have you learned to be organized so you are ready for last-minute guests?

If you’ve missed the last 20 days of this series, you can catch up now:

Day 15: Greek Salad on a Stick and Getting the Kids Involved
Day 16: Three Lies of Perfectionism that Ruin Entertaining Moments
Day 17: Be Creative When You Run Out of Linens for Your Dinner Party
Day 18: Gather Around a Fire for Intimate Summer Entertaining
Day 19: Last Minute Father’s Day Invite and Pork Chops with Glazed Apricots
Day 20: Summer Entertaining GIVEAWAY from National Pork Board

Feel free to grab my button and share it with your readers :).

30 days of Summer Entertaining

18 Responses to “Day 21: Create a Simple Appetizer Basket for Last Minute Guests”

Wendi — June 21, 2011 @ 12:08 am

I love this idea. It is so cute. What a wonderful way to welcome guests into your home so kindly and warmly. Thank you.

Pam — June 21, 2011 @ 2:02 am

This is my favorite idea yet! And super cute!

brie. — June 21, 2011 @ 2:39 am

such a fantastic idea! and so cute! and a great reason to keep ‘little bits’ on hand to eat at a moment’s notice!

Lynn from For Love or Funny — June 21, 2011 @ 2:43 am

I’ve been enjoying your ideas for summer entertaining! The photos of your appetizer basket are beautiful!

Barefeet In The Kitchen — June 21, 2011 @ 6:35 am

This is fantastic! I’m going to look around my house today and see if I have a basket that can be fitted out with jars as well. I love it.

Debbie — June 21, 2011 @ 8:22 am

I really like this idea also. Always good to have a few staples on hand you can pull togehter. Love your photos and the ideas you give to make it so beautiful. You make entertaining fun! I also loved the post on flavored water with herbs and fruits.

Kristin — June 21, 2011 @ 8:47 am

What a super cute idea! I love ideas for using things (a utensil caddy in this instance) in new ways. ~ Thanks for sharing it Sandy!

ella — June 21, 2011 @ 8:57 am

this basket certainly deserves its own blog post, it’s a great idea as presentation is everything.

lisa — June 21, 2011 @ 10:01 am

Brilliant idea. I love baskets. One thing I do is keep ice cream in the freezer and fresh berries with a bit of sugar and lemon juice in a mason jar…its always replenished so it can be used for ice cream toppings, smoothies, fresh syrup or pies in a jar…which I also keep in the freezer. Happy Tuesday.

kirstin — June 21, 2011 @ 7:32 pm

Great idea!!!!

Jennifer — June 21, 2011 @ 8:51 pm

I think I saw the same magazine and loved that idea too…and forgot about it, now to write it on a post-it for me to lose and re-find later! :)

Tickled Red — June 22, 2011 @ 6:42 am

What a cute idea! I just love this :)

Laura — June 22, 2011 @ 7:33 am

I love this idea! I could see it used in a similar way for overnight guests … for snacks in their room or even extra toiletries.

Erika — June 22, 2011 @ 5:02 pm

What a fun idea..

Kim — June 28, 2011 @ 6:18 pm

I love this idea….. I don’t get many stop in last minute guests but a great way to be prepared anyway.

1. Pingback: Adding Dried Rosemary to Your Barbecue — Reluctant Entertainer

2. Pingback: Using Accent Dishes to Compliment Your Table Setting — Reluctant Entertainer

3. Pingback: 30 Days to Summer Entertaining - Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening