Canning Jam Part 5: Flipping the Jar Over to Seal the Jam

Last post, I shared our family’s favorite jam combination and recipe, using both strawberries and raspberries right from our garden.

This post I’m sharing how the method of “flipping your jars over” to seal them, works beautifully, effectively and quickly.

How to Flip and Seal the Jars
1. When you’ve completed the recipe and the jam is boiling for the last time, you’re now ready to fill the jars.
2. Using a funnel, ladle the jam into the jars.
3. Take a clean, hot towel and wipe the rim of the jar to remove any residue.
4. Place a sterile lid on the jar.
5. Place a ring around the lid/jar tightly.
6. Immediately flip the jar upside down.
7. Allow the jars to sit in this position for 30-40 minutes.
8. Flip the jar back over and put your finger in the middle. If it pops, the jar is not sealed. Flip the jar back over until it is sealed.
9. When the lid does not pop, or move up and down, then the jar is sealed.

Here’s a little disclaimer: canning websites and books don’t recommend this method; they recommend you use a full hot-water bath for canning jam. I prefer this method for jams and jellies only, exactly the way my Mother and Grandmother taught me.

Why is it okay to use this method?
These items are high in acid and high in sugar – both of which retard the growth of bacteria.

For anything else – vegetables, pickles, tomato sauces, fruit, etc. – process exactly according to current food safety recommendations is what I follow.

When canning, if the lid doesn’t seal, refrigerate and eat as soon as possible. There will be nothing wrong with the food, so don’t throw it out, but it must be refrigerated and used soon.

Here’s our jam on a yummy breakfast treat … Hootenanny (recipe in my book.)

Have you been inspired to make jam this summer?

Thank you for joining me this week in my 5-Part Canning Jam series. It’s been really fun reading your comments. So many of you have very similar stories of learning to make jam the way I did!

If you missed …
Canning Jam Part 1: How to find you passion and get started
Canning Jam Part 2: Supplies you will need for canning
Canning Jam Part 3: Getting your family involved in canning
Canning Jam Part 4: Strawberry Raspberry Jam Recipe
Canning Jam Part 5: Using the “Flip-Over” Method to Seal the Jar

17 Responses to “Canning Jam Part 5: Flipping the Jar Over to Seal the Jam”

Greta — July 22, 2011 @ 4:27 am

I have loved reading your canning posts. I just recently learned to can my first thing – salsa! A wonderful friend taught me and we are enjoying the fruits of our labor. It has definitely gotten me interested in canning.

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart — July 22, 2011 @ 4:46 am

That method seems so easy. It inspires me to at least try making jam. Thanks for passing on the knowledge you gained from some obviously wonderful women.
    Have a great day Sandy!

Audra Lynn — July 22, 2011 @ 6:53 am

I must admit, I skimmed over your last canning post, because I’ve been depressed and missing canning all summer long. We’ve moved into a house with a ceramic stove, which I’ve been told it’s a big no-no to can on it. I’m going to have to try this method and get my canning fix before the summer is over!

teresa — July 22, 2011 @ 9:50 am

It’s been great reading your canning post….reminds me of my childhood. There’s nothing like seeing a row of canned fruits linned up on the counter in the kitchen….When I “can”, I like to leave them on the counter for a few days….just so I can look at them =)
    Thanks for sharing-
    Happy day

SalBug — July 22, 2011 @ 2:32 pm

Hi! Love your site. But I’m confused. You said:

8. …..If it pops, the jar is not sealed…
    9. If the lid does not pop………then the jar is NOT sealed.

So which is it? I really want to know because I want to do it this weekend!

Thanks so much!

Tara G. @ Mrs. Yellow Hat — July 24, 2011 @ 9:45 pm

I really wanted to make jam this summer but can’t find rhubarb anywhere! Sveta had seed to plant at her dacha, but they didn’t take. I may give your recipe a whirl!! :)

Shahar Deutsch — July 28, 2011 @ 9:38 am

Very useful – thank you for the tip

Vanessa — July 29, 2011 @ 1:39 pm

Hi there,

Your jam sounds delish! We just finished canning our own raspberry jam and do not waterbath can it either (for the same reasons you listed) but we find that you do not have to turn it upside down or push on it, and that some cans do seem to take longer then others. We tightly (but not too tightly) close the lid and wait!

I’m new to your blog and really enjoying it :)

Warmly,
    Vanessa

Rita @ Creatively Domestic — March 7, 2012 @ 12:19 pm

I was canning some strawberry jam today, and I ran out of room in my canner for the last jar. I remembered this post, and flipped the jar over. So far, so good! Just wanted to say I thought of this technique and it saved a jar of jam!

Diana — June 25, 2012 @ 1:13 pm

I have been wanting to try canning for some time but did not have some one to show me how and I have been a little intimidated by it all. I took my girls berry picking this week and was inspired by your flip method to go for it! I want my kids to go up with a sweet memory and think fondly of times spent with mom canning and making jam together, something I wasn’t able to experience on my own. My girls love to see the beautiful cans cooling on the counter, knowing thoes are their berries in there! Thanks

Erica — October 5, 2013 @ 8:34 am

Can this method work for apple butter too?

Brandon — October 7, 2013 @ 7:52 pm

Does this work for other things? Say BBQ Sauce, Pesto, Balsamic Vinegarette

Thanks

Keith — June 10, 2014 @ 8:33 pm

Hello, I seem to have a problem in that three of my jam jars solidified on the top of the jar befor being flipped and the jam did not come down. The jars are sealed but I put them in the fridge just in case. Is this normal? Are the jars really sealed or just seem to be? It should be safe to eat still right?

• Sandy replied: — June 12th, 2014 @ 5:48 am

The jars should be fine. It will eventually come down as you flip it back over, Keith. :)

Becky — August 17, 2014 @ 5:14 pm

This blog entry promotes an unsafe and outdated method of preserving. That’s great that it worked for your mom and your grandma, but we are armed with better information now.

People will read this and think they can use the ‘flip’ method with other foods. It’s frustrating to stubble across blogs like yours that give people the wrong idea about food safety.

1. Pingback: How To Make a Last-Minute Appetizer Using Jams or Jellies - Reluctant Entertainer - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening by Sandy Coughlin

2. Pingback: How to Thank A Hostess with a Gift or a Hug | Reluctant Entertainer