RE Friday Round-Up: Refrigerator and No-Bake Cookie Love

When it comes to baking cookies in the summer months, I have two favorite kinds.

The no-bake kind, where you whip up the dough, place scoops on a cookie sheet, and place in the fridge to harden up. Ready to enjoy in only 30 minutes and no heating up the oven.

Then there were my mom’s “refrigerator oatmeal cookies,” the kind where the dough was shaped into a nice long log, wrapped in wax paper, and stored in the refrigerator.

Are you a cookie dough lover like I am? Since I was a young teen, my girlfriends and I would make the dough, fill a coffee mug half-way with dough, and nuke it for 30 seconds. It was our own little method of taking the flavor up a notch … we called it “mushing” the dough. :)

Busted! Another easy way to enjoy of a slice of sweet, tantalizing goodness!

A few weeks ago on a very hot summer night in the Rogue Valley, our family wanted cookies, but I didn’t want to heat up the oven. I pulled out mom’s recipe and whipped up a batch of no-bake cookies. Mom had so many cookie recipes. This recipe is not new, it’s been around for years, but it’s still a summer favorite!

What’s your favorite version of no-bake or refrigerator cookies?

I’m happy to share some amazing cookie recipes and yumminess here today on my round-up. I hope you’ll enjoy them, too!

Salad in a Jar: Double Chocolate Oatmeal Refrigerator Cookies

Brown Eyed Baker: No-Bake Chocolate, Peanut Butter & Oatmeal Cookies

Eating Bird Food: Healthy No-Bake Cookies

Recipe Girl: Rocky Road No-Bake Cookies

For the Love of Cooking: Chocolate, Oatmeal and Coconut No-Bake Cookies

The Art of Doing Stuff: No Cook Cookies

Our Best Bites: Reese’s Peanut Butter Bars (No-Bake)

Smitten Kitchen: Slice and Bake Cookies

Megan’s Cookin’: No-Bake Nutella Cookies

(This post is sponsored by Reader’s Digest, Canada.)

17 Responses to “RE Friday Round-Up: Refrigerator and No-Bake Cookie Love”

Tara G. — August 26, 2011 @ 12:49 am

I think our recipes are the same- and I love these cookies!! :) The last one with Nutella is one we’ll have to try; the kids and I just polished off a jar yesterday!

Richella at Imparting Grace — August 26, 2011 @ 5:46 am

No doubt about it for me: my kids call these “World’s Fastest Cookies” because they take so little time to make. The taste? Absolutely amazing!

Here’s the link to the recipe: http://www.impartinggrace.com/2010/08/on-these-hot-days-do-you-ever-wish-for.html

I mean it when I say these are DELICIOUS. If you like peanut butter, you’ll love these. :)

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — August 26, 2011 @ 9:18 am

fun post! I will have to check some of these out in my kitchen

Curtis & Sherrie — August 26, 2011 @ 9:20 am

Our kids love these, Sherrie got the recipe from our high school cafeteria lady. They made these and sold them at the snack bar at our high school, so many years ago LOL. They are YUMMY!!!
    Blessings
    Curtis & Sherrie

Salad in a Jar — August 26, 2011 @ 9:57 am

Sandy, I’ve read your book and loved it. Didn’t realize you had a website. Thanks so much for the link.

Your no-bake cookies bring back memories for me. My sister used to give us a bag full of them for our trip home from Alabama to Texas. Of course, we felt pretty sick after eating a bunch along with lots of other junk by the time we arrived.

Heidi / foodiecrush — August 26, 2011 @ 11:02 am

No-bake cookies are da bomb diggity! These are the first cookies my husband learned to cook, but he never even go them to the cookie sheet, just ate them out of the pan. But then, what’s wrong with that?

Connie — August 26, 2011 @ 11:24 am

I grew up with those cookies and they are a favorite of our family also! YUM!!!! Some of the other ones you’ve shown are also pretty yummy looking too! Yikes!! My sweet tooth is kicking in…I may just have to make some cookies this afternoon!

Connie

Brittany — August 26, 2011 @ 11:39 am

I love this list of no-bakes. And, thanks for including my recipe!

Bev Weidner — August 26, 2011 @ 1:18 pm

This soooo reminds me of childhood. I should make these since I can’t bake a thing and might cry about it daily.

Jennifer — August 26, 2011 @ 5:09 pm

Such wonderful treats! Makes me want to spend the weekend in the kitchen. My kiddos would be in sugar heaven! =)

I posted a link to your “jar flipping” canning method from my blog today. I hope that was ok.

Have a wonderful weekend!
    Jennifer

Amanda @ A Sweet Life Rocks — August 26, 2011 @ 8:18 pm

Hello, I am visiting from the link up party for Relevant.
    You have a very beautiful blog…… so upbeat and cheery!
    I would love to visit again some time.
    So nice to meet you,
    Amanda

Angela — August 26, 2011 @ 9:26 pm

I was wanting to bake my kiddos cookies today, but it was way too hot! Thanks, they’ll love these! I’ll tell them it’s Aunt M’s recipe!

• KIrstin replied: — August 27th, 2011 @ 10:41 am

Ha! All I saw was “I was wanting to bake my kiddos today”…totally missed the “cookies” part (C: How funny!

KIrstin — August 27, 2011 @ 8:59 am

YUM! I love no-bake cookies (unless coconut is added, and then I’m so bummed) (C: Some of the recipes you shared look sooo good…rocky road no-bake…YUM. I haven’t made no bakes in awhile. Think I might need to try them.

Andrea — August 27, 2011 @ 8:56 pm

Who knew there were so many variations on a No Bake? Will have to try some of these out!
    I did want to let you know I made your Mom’s “Old Fashioned Peach Cobbler” this week…WOW is all I gotta say! It was delicious and definitely a recipe that I will be using again and again! Thanks so much for sharing!

Lisa — August 28, 2011 @ 7:49 pm

We always called these “Mystery Bars” and my sister would make them for me when she’d come home from college. THey are the go – to chocolate fix at our house. (I have been known, on certain emotional days, to make a mini batch for myself and sit w/ a spoon and the pan self-medicating) :-) And when I asked my kids what things they would always remember about home once they are out on their own, Mystery Bars was one of the first things they said.

Shoot….if I wasn’t out of cocoa powder I think I’m make some now!

san diego refrigerator repair — March 16, 2013 @ 6:51 pm

Greetings from Carolina! I’m bored to tears at work so I decided to check out your site on my iphone during lunch break. I love the knowledge you provide here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home.
    I’m shocked at how fast your blog loaded on my phone .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .
    . Anyways, superb site!