Taming Brussels Sprouts Braised with Cream and Sweet Dates

Have you ever thought about moving a dinner course to an unusual place in your house?

Last weekend our friends came for dinner and to try something new, we enjoyed appetizers out in my husband’s office with lively music and yummy small bites to munch on.

And then we came inside and enjoyed a wonderful prime rib dinner, with one side dish a savory combination of sweet dates and Brussels sprouts, balanced out by cream, nutmeg and sweet paprika. It was a fabulous fall flavor.

By the way, if you don’t like Brussels sprouts, this recipe is a great way to “tame them,” knock down the bitter flavor a bit, and really, you won’t even stink up your kitchen.

Brussels sprouts.

Just in time for the holidays.

I’d make this recipe over and over again.

Delicious.

I adapted this recipe from the new Cooks Illustrated Cookbook, a tried and true cookbook that never fails you. They just came out with a new edition and I can’t wait to try many more recipes.

In the meantime, will you be cooking brussels sprouts over the holidays?

Brussels Sprouts Braised with Cream and Sweet Dates

17 Responses to “Taming Brussels Sprouts Braised with Cream and Sweet Dates”

Heather — November 14, 2011 @ 6:44 am

I’m always looking for new ways to cook brussel sprouts as my family won’t eat them just plain. Last Christmas I roasted them and tossed them in balsamic vinegar – yummy – the sweetness of the balsamic really cut the bitterness. I’m sure the dates would be amazing with the sprouts. Can’t wait to try it.

teresa — November 14, 2011 @ 7:19 am

Our family as usual as it seems love brussel sprouts….will be giving this recipe a go.
    I like you idea of trying different places to share a meal together. I’ve used our library before….but it’s been a long time since I mixed things up a bit.
    Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Barbara | Creative Culinary — November 14, 2011 @ 10:13 am

Oh my gosh I love this. I am one of many who avoided those little green orbs from years of childhood pressure to ‘eat just one’ when they were an overcooked mess. I love roasting them, nothing bitter and just wonderful bites. But I am trying this. Yummaliciousness. :)

Erica — November 14, 2011 @ 10:13 am

Roast brussel sprouts in balsamic is one of my favorites. I often roast them along side beets and carrots as well, just to get a variety for those who prefer to avoid the sprouts (more for me!).

michelle starling — November 14, 2011 @ 10:37 am

I’ve never made brussel sprouts. Maybe I’ll try this. I have to say that the fact that your husband’s office is in the garage facinates me more than the recipe. I love it. Very interesting and it gets me thinking.

sugarfreemom — November 14, 2011 @ 10:48 am

OH I LOVE this recipe! Brussel sprouts are delicious when cooked right. Great idea with the dates!

Lisa C. — November 14, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

Yes! We like them roasted with olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. Love those little crispy leaves!

LoveFeast Table — November 14, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

We have been on a brussel sprout kick lately. Our four year old requests them for dinner. I’ll have to try this recipe and see how it stands up :)
    ~Kristin

Elen — November 14, 2011 @ 3:06 pm

I don’t even like Brussels sprouts, but I WILL be trying this recipe. With dates…fascinating.

Robin — November 14, 2011 @ 3:28 pm

I Love Brussel Sprouts and, I do plan on them being one side dish on our Thanksgiving side board.
    The recipe I am making calls for Brussel Sprouts with Chorizo Sausage YUM!

Cookin' Canuck — November 14, 2011 @ 3:57 pm

You throw the best dinner parties, Sandy. How lucky your friends are! I have come to appreciate Brussels sprouts more and more, and this recipe is so tantalizing to me.

Tickled Red — November 15, 2011 @ 9:13 am

You always trow fab dinner parties ;D Great idea fro the brussel sprouts, maybe this will e the one that has the boys perking up a renewed interest.

Barbara Collins — November 15, 2011 @ 12:10 pm

Wondering and may try this with coconut milk with the sweet dates and maybe add prosciutto to it….YUMMY…..maybe on Thanksgiving Day table……thanks friend.

Ann — November 16, 2011 @ 10:28 pm

Oh, delicious! I made roasted brussels sprouts with grapes and walnuts. This sounds like another winner to add to my recipe box! Thank you!

Darlene — January 12, 2012 @ 7:41 pm

I love this brussels sprouts braised with cream and sweet. I’m forward on it and I love to cook it at home.

1. Pingback: Thanksgiving Celebrates What Everyone Brings to the Table - Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

2. Pingback: 101 Thanksgiving Recipes | How Sweet It Is