Fresh Homemade Fruit and Nut Granola on my Kitchen Counter Makes me Happy

A few months back I received a text from my friend, a mom of 3 little tikes who lives in Portland, with this picture, saying:

Fresh granola on my kitchen counter makes me happy.

We often send text messages to each other with pictures of food we are eating, cooking, sharing with others. It’s a way we stay in touch. I loved her granola pic, too, because deep in our hearts, we both love to make as much homemade foods as possible for our kids (3 under the age of 6; 3 over the age of 15).

Steph also inspired me to start making my own granola, and once I got into the routine, it not only provided a great snack (and breakfast) for the family, but it saved us a bunch of money!

Store-bought granola is way overpriced.

And often too sweet, according to my tastes. So you’re going to love this recipe today. Which, by the way, you can play around with the recipe and add in your favorite nuts or fruits, double up on the liquid if you need to.

My recipe is a generic recipe, but one thing that I learned was to not use Quick Oats, but to instead use the Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats. I hand-chopped my almonds and walnuts, because we like the larger chunks, and the first time I used cranberries and golden raisins. I basically mixed it all together in a big bowl, decided I needed more liquid, and doubled that.

I ended up cooking the granola at 250 for over an hour. You can cook it (stirring every 20 minutes) to whatever texture you like for your own household.

Another thought about granola: If you’re going through all the work of making it, make enough to keep your family satisfied! A small recipe only begs the question of:

Mom, when are you making more granola?

And guess who loves it the most in our family? Yup! Mom bags it up in Ziploc gallon bags for our college student.

It’s a simple little care package full of homemade love! :)

What’s homemade on your kitchen counter that makes your family happy?

22 Responses to “Fresh Homemade Fruit and Nut Granola on my Kitchen Counter Makes me Happy”

Heather @ new house, new home, new life — April 25, 2012 @ 5:20 am

Sounds great, Sandy. I’ve never made granola – thought it would be too sweet too. What’s on my counter that’s homemade? Honestly, nothing. There is a little basil plant that’s keeping us all happy though.

Mary — April 25, 2012 @ 6:40 am

Hi Sandy,

I am with you. I love to make as much as I can – homemade – for my family. One thing that both my husband and son love are what we call Texas Cowboy Cookies. I think of them as something my mom used to call Kitchen Sink Cookies…She used to say they have everything in them but the kitchen sink! LOL!!! They are basically oatmeal cookies with a ton of additional ingredients. Sort of like a granola bar in a cookie size.

When these are sitting on a plate on my kitchen counter I feel so happy that I have a nice snack for my family to grab rather than relying on something less healthy. And that fact that they are easy to make is a huge plus.

Hope you’re having a great week!

Love,
    Mary

lisa — April 25, 2012 @ 8:06 am

So funny. I just texted a friend last night telling her I was dropping granola off for them this morning! When full meals are not doable, granola it is!
    Homemade ice cream in the freezer, packaged individually, also makes me happy!

Love to you!

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary — April 25, 2012 @ 8:29 am

I make granola all the time. We love it so much more than the store bought stuff. Sandy, I thought of you when I saw this post from my friend Rebecca (Foodie with Family). It’s a great idea for a quick breakfast. I thought I’d share with you:

Aggie — April 25, 2012 @ 9:39 am

I was just leaving a comment for someone else saying how much I LOVE homemade granola. There is really nothing like it. I could eat it by the bowl as a snack in front of the tv. As a matter of fact, I think I’m going to make a batch right now. It makes the kitchen smell so good!!

Dayle — April 25, 2012 @ 2:03 pm

Not only does it sound fab, it seems easy enough to make. One of those win-wins.

Nita — April 25, 2012 @ 6:01 pm

Tonight I made choc chip cookies, if the cookie jar is empty then I know I have to fill it. Even now that 3 of my adult children, 26, 23, 20 moved back home , I know I have to keep that jar filled. I love to cook and bake so pretty much everything is homemade around here.

Sara Tetreault — April 25, 2012 @ 7:34 pm

Sandy! I love making granola and I agree – it’s usually too sweet. Your recipe looks good….
    I just made w/w sourdough bread and am loving having a sourdough starter that I’ve been able to keep alive….so far! Can’t wait to see you in June :)

Kirstin — April 25, 2012 @ 7:57 pm

YUM! My family likes granola somewhat but aren’t huge eaters of it. I should try making some of this..minus the coconut..LOL..I don’t like coconut. I have begun making my own granola bars and eveyone even those outside our family love them. I love finding more “store bought” things that I can make homemade. Better value and better nutrition for my family!!

nancy — April 25, 2012 @ 10:55 pm

I’m going to make a big batch this weekend. Some for us and some to give away. Greek yogurt is my new favorite. Something I can readily digest and the granola will give me the added grains and fruit. Thank you!

Jill B. — April 26, 2012 @ 8:13 pm

Sounds positively delish! I think I have all the ingredients in the house except for pure maple syrup. Have you ever subbed with pancake syrup, corn syrup, etc? Any recommendations? I’m a little gun-shy because I severely flubbed my last attempt at homemade granola. ; )

allison — April 29, 2012 @ 3:39 pm

I love homemade granola- and this recipe looks great! I double the batch, and then bag it up in individual sized baggies- my husband and I can take 5 at the beginning of the week to work and have it on hand to have with yogurt. It is such an easy week day meal!

Laura — May 2, 2012 @ 1:38 pm

I made this today. I used coconut oil instead of vegetable oil, and unsweetened coconut flakes. It needs just a touch more sweetener (probably because of the unsweetened coconut flakes). It was easy and is so yummy!

Beth — May 4, 2012 @ 12:20 pm

I made this last week and it’s hands down the BEST GRANOLA I’ve ever had!!! Thank you Sandy!! It must be a fool-proof recipe….. I was using salted pecans and ALSO accidentally doubled the salt!! So I compensated by doubling the maple syrup and adding more coconut. I know this sounds like a disaster, but my husband who rarely eats cereal had it every day until it was gone! It wasn’t as healthy as your version, but awesome nonetheless!

Shannon — May 10, 2012 @ 7:38 am

I made this granola last night and I’m so glad I did! I’ve been looking for a granola recipe that I liked as well as the one my mom used to make and this one hits the mark. It’s super simple to make, not too sweet and tastes yummy . . . for real! I don’t feel like I need to tweak it at all. I can’t wait to serve it for brunch using your Entertaining with Canning Jars, Greek Yogurt and Granola idea–love that!

Jennifer — May 18, 2012 @ 7:44 am

This is in the oven right now, can’t wait to try it! I did lick my fingers when cleaning up and now I’m even more eager for it to finish baking!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — February 6, 2013 @ 9:18 am

Love this recipe!! I am craving homemade granola!!

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet — February 12, 2013 @ 11:00 pm

YUM! One of my favorite things to make. Looks delish Sandy!!!

Mamie — March 12, 2013 @ 2:42 pm

Quality posts is the crucial to interest the users to
    go to see the website, that’s what this web page is providing.

motocross videos — March 28, 2013 @ 3:53 pm

I visited multiple websites however the audio feature for audio songs present at this
    website is in fact fabulous.

1. Pingback: Day 6. Heirlooms. 30 Days of Autumn Inspirations. | reluctantentertainer.com Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

2. Pingback: Finally Made Homemade Granola | daddy jake