Autumn Backyard Dinner with Warm Pear Pumpkin Pecan Cake

Pears and Harry & David’s Pumpkin Pecan Butter? Absolutely!

Together in a warm, gooey cake? Uh-huh!

Serve it up to friends who you love? You’ve got it, Baby!

Tonight is going to be magical.

In my back yard.

But more than magic, I’m bringing together friends from afar, who’ve traveled all day long to get to Oregon, to be a part of a unique blogging event with Harry & David, which is right in my home town. (Here’s a link to our dinner party in August.)

I like to think of tonight’s dinner as a celebration of Autumn and friendships.

Some of my dearest friends, whom I’ve met through blogging, live all over the USA. So it’s awesome when we get to meet up for conferences or blogging events with various companies–to connect and learn–and hopefully walk away inspired by the company, new friendships, and more. I really love being a part of connecting others.

One thing special to me, as my blogging friends visit the Rogue Valley, is that they get to meet my family, and my family gets to meet them!

In.

Real.

Life.

So, dinner tonight … why not make it special?

And why not make a killer dessert, when pears are so prevalent in our Rogue Valley.

I spent very little money on decor with Dollar Tree green glass plates. Why vary from my standard white of 21 years? I wanted to branch out and purposely chose a color that I will use for other holidays. Green–St. Patrick’s Day (yes, we are an Irish family), Spring and Fall entertaining, Thanksgiving. And of course, Christmas. It probably will be the best $16 I’ve spent in a long time.

Easy-made place cards using these plush pumpkins.

Naked tables soon turned into entertaining bliss.

Pumpkins. And a backyard party is never complete without our Cairn Terrier, Haggis McStitch, running around and “protecting” us. :)

Bringing a little bit of Autumn inside.

The barren strawberry patch has a single pink pumpkin benefiting breast cancer research. (My Mom had breast cancer and ovarian cancer, so October is a very important month to me.)

So many more little touches. But I can’t give it all away here.

One thing I’m willing to share today is the warm pear cake recipe using Harry & David’s Pumpkin Pecan Butter. I think it’s the best combination and moistness yet!

So to all these wonderful people visiting Southern Oregon this week …

There will be more to come …

What is your favorite Autumn cake recipe? And have you thought about adding pumpkin, pear, or apple butter to the recipe?

Thanks for letting me share my iPhone pictures with you! Are you following me on Instagram? SandyCoughlinRE :)

Harry & David provided the food items and pumpkins for this dinner, but they did not pay me to write this post. As always, all opinions are my own.

23 Responses to “Autumn Backyard Dinner with Warm Pear Pumpkin Pecan Cake”

Jen (Balancing Beauty and Bedlam) — October 10, 2012 @ 7:49 am

OH Sandy – you are hosting another fun blogger get together? I can’t wait to see your updated posts. It’s always so beautiful.

Now with the launch of my new 10minutedinners.com site, I completely thought of your HArry and David posts because they seem like the exact products I need to incorporate into some of my recipes, especially over the holidays. Perfect addition to our entertaining and hospitality emphasis.

Have a blast. I know you will be a blessing. :)

bridget {bake at 350} — October 10, 2012 @ 7:59 am

Oh, that pink pumpkin. ♥

Sandy…that cake looks INcredible!!! You are such an amazing hostess…I already know they are going to have a magical night!

Kirstin — October 10, 2012 @ 8:10 am

yum! SOunds so good, and how much fun to be with friends. Can’t wait to hear all about it

Rebecca {Foodie With Family} — October 10, 2012 @ 8:10 am

They are going to have such a fabulous meal and a great time tonight. I think I may have to whip up one of those cakes. I’m getting hungry just looking at it!

Heather @ Heather's Dish — October 10, 2012 @ 10:53 am

that’s it – i’m going to dollar tree today :)

i had my first pear of the season this morning and am already heading back to the store to buy more today! a cake filled with them sounds absolutely perfect!

Kim — October 10, 2012 @ 11:33 am

Have fun tonight, Sandy! I can’t wait to hear more details…

I love your dog’s name!

Carrie Minns — October 10, 2012 @ 4:48 pm

You are simply amazing! I am so fortunate to have you in my life. Thank you for all you do. xoxo

Sara Tetreault — October 10, 2012 @ 4:49 pm

Sandy, this looks magical! Love a fall cake…in fact, I just frosted a pumpkin spice cake with buttermilk and cream cheese frosting. My daughter and I each had a slice because we couldn’t wait until dessert ;)
    Have fun!

Jen @ Savory Simple — October 10, 2012 @ 6:30 pm

I love nothing more than meeting my only blogger friends in person! I’ve made it a mission to get to more conferences next year. The community is so wonderful! How lovely of you to host these blogger get togethers. Some of my favorite autumn cakes have pumpkin and pear. I make a pumpkin spiced bundt cake awhile back that was a big hit so I’ll call that my favorite for now. Your dessert looks divine.

PS- I just got your book in the mail! Can’t wait to read it :)

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! — October 10, 2012 @ 7:27 pm

Your backyard looks absolutely beautiful!! The cake looks so good I was almost drooling on my computer. I hope your party goes fabulously! :)

Timothy Munsey — October 11, 2012 @ 12:08 am

I just love fall, all the leaves, the pumpkins and celebrations/parties like this. Me and my wife are hosting a party this coming Saturday with our friends, and this is just what I need, a Pear pecan cake to make them awe. Thanks a lot for the recipe

Angela — October 11, 2012 @ 12:23 am

Looks so yummy! Love the pink pumpkin! So wish I lived closer! Hugs! Happy Fall!

Ally's Sweet & Savory Eats — October 11, 2012 @ 6:41 am

Just found your blog courtesy of Julie at Peanut Butter Fingers – thank you! What a fun blogger event! Your home, backyard and meal all looked beautiful!

Lianna — October 11, 2012 @ 3:42 pm

Can I sub canned pumpkin for the pumpkin butter instead of applesauce? Can’t wait to make this!! :)

Aggie — November 10, 2012 @ 5:58 am

I’m making this today! Love you friend!!

1. Pingback: Dinner at the Coughlin’s | Peanut Butter Fingers

2. Pingback: Parties and Entertaining | Momtrends

3. Pingback: Harry & David's Wild Mushroom Leek Soup for a Crowd | reluctantentertainer.com Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

4. Pingback: A Visit with Harry and David in Medford, OR | Aggie's Kitchen

5. Pingback: Harry and David {& beautiful southern oregon!}

6. Pingback: Apple & Pear Crisp with Crystalized Ginger Recipe

7. Pingback: No Apologizing - Laugh at Your Mistakes & Holiday Poached Pears | reluctantentertainer.com Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

8. Pingback: Pumpkin Butter Vinaigrette over Mixed Greens, Pepitas and Blue Cheese | Aggie's Kitchen