Breaking the Ice at the Front Door & Easy Salami & Pepperoncini Appetizer

Have you ever noticed that when you open the door to invite your guests in, it can sometimes be rather awkward?

Awkward for the guests, and sometimes for the hosts, too.

My husband and I are not awkward people (at least I don’t think we are), :) but sometimes there’s just something that doesn’t feel right about the first 10 seconds.

You say your hellos.

You give your hugs.

You take the coats, jacket, scarves, hats, purses, hostess gifts, bottles of wine, dishes of food.

You invite your guests in.

But what I’ve found for the number-one party trick for getting rid of awkwardness, is to have food and drink ready!

Appetizers out, something tasty waiting on the counter, or where guests will be gathering.

Glasses, drinks ready.

And then start the conversation.

How was your day?

Hey, if you have to talk about the weather, then talk about the weather, like the walk I went on the day I wrote this post. It was gorgeous out!

In our home, after that first initial conversation, we then move our guests to an area where everyone can settle back, munch on the goodies, and feel the “awwwwww ….., it’s going to be a good night,” type of feeling.

Then the relaxing begins …

What’s your ice-breaking idea for greeting guests at the front door?

8 Responses to “Breaking the Ice at the Front Door & Easy Salami & Pepperoncini Appetizer”

Cassie | Bake Your Day — February 27, 2013 @ 7:35 am

I LOVE this, Sandy! I think Paul would stand by this dish and eat all of it, though. Great recipe!

Kirstin — February 27, 2013 @ 9:23 am

I agree that it’s good to have food ready, whether appetizers or ready to jump in and eat. I usually try to have questions in mind to engage guests especially if they are new to our home or people we don’t know very well. The key for me is making them feel right at home. We will be having 15 students in our home this coming Sunday (our church has a “school of ministry”). many people haven’t been to our home, etc…so I’m already thinking about what types of finger foods to have ready to go when they arrive, and creating an atmosphere that invites them in to relax and settle in.

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet — February 27, 2013 @ 10:17 am

Love the app. Looks so good! My icebreaker is to get them a drink right away. People feel more comfortable with something in their hands. I can visualize the “aaaaaaahhhh” factor on your beautiful back patio.

Colette @ JFF! — February 27, 2013 @ 1:12 pm

You should call these “Betcha Can’t Eat Just Ones!”

ERIKA — February 27, 2013 @ 3:23 pm

Hi Sandy
    I have enjoyed reading your blog for a long time. I wonder if you would sometime discuss the nosey prying guest. One who ask the kind of questions maybe they really shouldnt like how much did you pay for this and that or the other type that snoops around the house even after you’ve given the house tour; I always remember my parents had a couple that would come they knew for years. The wife always snooped around in draws not just in bathroom but else where.

Thanks

Erika @ The Hopeless Housewife — February 27, 2013 @ 8:28 pm

This is a great appetizer and what a view you have!

Tara @ Unsophisticook — February 28, 2013 @ 11:18 am

I am so intrigued by this combination. I make an appetizer that’s pickles rolled up in cream cheese and dried beef that sounds a little similar, but I have to try this!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — February 28, 2013 @ 7:31 pm

Ooooooo…I want to try one (or 2!) of those apps – they look awesome! I definitely think having drinks ready, plus at least one app ready to go, is key to breaking the ice.