Leftover Turkey, Farro and Cranberries

Turkey, Cranberries and Farro

Recently I had a great discussion with a friend about entertaining, when I was telling her about a dish I was making, Turkey, Farro and Cranberries. We got on the subject of “perfectionism” and how it haunts so many women, to the point of never wanting to have people in to their homes.

We can get so caught up in the details. I love her point … I will not go crazy … I will go crazy … I will not go crazy …

This week ahead is a time to plan, get organized, think ahead to all the details for Thanksgiving. Make a list and write things down! My goal for doing this is that I will not go crazy next week, because I want to sit back, enjoy the cooking and entertaining process, and mostly enjoy my guests.

My friend continued to say …

It was such a pleasure talking with you about planning out to-dos when entertaining (certainly something I’m doing as I host Thanksgiving every year), and I’ve been trolling through your site for ideas on how to breathe deeply amongst a houseful of the in-laws while I get everything set with meal prep and dining experience details. (I will not go crazy… I will not go crazy.) Trying to keep in mind that, like most people, I’m my hardest critic, and that no one (save for me) expects perfection.

This is also the week to plan ahead to what recipes to make using up all of that turkey! That is if you’ll have leftover turkey. :)  I usually try to cook a large enough turkey to make sure we get the leftovers. I love leftover Thanksgiving dishes!

To me they say comfort!

Thinking ahead to the upcoming holiday, what is your comfort level of entertaining?

Turkey, Cranberries and Farro

More mouth-watering “farro” recipes from my friends:
Farro and Spiced Honey Salad with Sweet Potatoes, Apples, and Chestnuts from A Farmgirl’s Dabbles
Farro and Sausage Stuffed Roasted Acorn Squash from Skinny Taste
Pumpkin Potage with Toasted Farro from A Thought for Food
Garden Farro Salad with Feta from Aggie’s Kitchen
Roasted Strawberry Farro from How Sweet it is
Farro Rice Pudding from Reluctant Entertainer :)
Farro Salad Recipe with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Spinach & Cashews from Cookin’ Canuck

13 Responses to “Leftover Turkey, Farro and Cranberries”

Tieghan — November 22, 2013 @ 6:42 am

This looks so great, Sandy! A healthy way to use up all those leftovers!

Heather — November 22, 2013 @ 7:10 am

I have a bag of farro in my pantry that I’ve had zero inspiration for…till now. We are eating at other houses for the big day, but I’m sure we’ll have some leftovers to take home with us and now I can’t wait!

Angie — November 22, 2013 @ 7:27 am

I’ve never had farro, but this recipe looks like a perfect way to try it out!

Brian @ A Thought For Food — November 22, 2013 @ 7:29 am

If we have any leftover turkey, I’m totally making this for Eric. He will go crazy over it. We’re gearing up for Friendsgiving this weekend… cooking for 16 of our closest friends. It should be fabulous… but I always stress out a little. At least we’re having people contribute a bit more this year. Normally I want to do everything… but I’ve just been a bit overwhelmed by work.

Hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — November 22, 2013 @ 8:14 am

I’ve never had farro before *ducks!!* But if I have leftover turkey this year – you can bet I’m going to try it with this!!

Laura — November 22, 2013 @ 11:04 am

Where do you all find farro? I’ve been looking lately and can’t find it!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — November 22, 2013 @ 12:54 pm

I love the turkey + farro + cranberries…and the addition of peas makes me want this all the more! What a great way to continue the deliciousness of a Thanksgiving feast!

Brenda@SugarFreeMom — November 26, 2013 @ 2:07 pm

This looks lovely and healthy and yummy! I’ll be sharing this tomorrow on my blog with other leftover Thanksgiving recipes post!

1. Pingback: 30 Things to do with Thanksgiving Leftovers - Rachel Cooks

2. Pingback: Layered Thanksgiving Leftovers Casserole Recipe {30+ Healthy Thanksgiving Leftover Recipes} - Jeanette's Healthy Living

3. Pingback: 15 Healthy Recipes for Thanksgiving Leftovers

4. Pingback: 100 Thanksgiving Leftovers Recipes | Boulder Locavore

5. Pingback: 27 Healthy Thanksgiving Leftover Recipes: Time for a Makeover! - Caroline Kaufman, MS, RDN