Late Night Dinner with Salty Sweet Butterscotch Brownies Recipe
Salty sweet desserts don’t have to be over-complicated. In fact, with this recipe, Salty Sweet Butterscotch Brownies Recipe, is the perfect recipe.
It was after we got our kids off to their school prom that we came back, with another couple, for a late dinner.
I’d say it was last-minute, since we called them just a couple of hours before to make the invite.
It was such a lovely springy evening, the sun going down after a warm day, the party lights hung, freshly mowed grass and newly planted springtime flowers in the pots.
I realized late into the afternoon that I hadn’t even thought of a dessert. Not that we have to have dessert with each meal — we don’t. But being a weekend night, and since we hadn’t seen our friends in a while, I pulled out an old “salty-sweet” recipe called Butterscotch Brownies. You might think this recipe includes butterscotch chips–it does not. You actually make your own butterscotch. Do you know how to make butterscotch?
It’s the warm oozing combination of butter and brown sugar–dark brown sugar, that is.
On top of the gooey goodness, if you dust with sea salt (you can see it in this picture) it stimulates a whole bunch of new taste buds in your mouth.
I feel the best desserts have a little zip to them, other than sweetness, and that includes salt.
Which, by the way, you can get so many flavors of gourmet sea salts these days.
In specialty shops you can find just the right one that satisfies your taste for the perfect salty-sweet foods.
We were recently at The Meadow in Portland, Oregon.
My husband and I got lost in this unique store.
Back to desserts.
Salty sweet desserts don’t have to be over-complicated. In fact, with this recipe today, you won’t believe how easy it is, and perfect for entertaining! You make it up ahead of time, and right before serving, microwave each dish for about 30 seconds. Serve with a premium vanilla ice cream and your guests will be singing your praises.
Just give the “salt’ the credit. :)
Do you have a quick go-to dessert you make for last-minute company?
Salty Sweet Butterscotch Brownies Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minuteds
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 mintues
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 12 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted (1 + 1/2 sticks)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup premium chocolate chips
- Grinder sea salt (for light dusting at the end)
- Preheat oven to 325. Spray a 9x13 pan. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, 1 tsp. salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add in the brown sugar. Mix in a stand mixer with whisk attachment.
- Add in the butter, eggs, and extract.
- Spread the batter into the prepared baking dish, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with pecans and chocolate chips. Dust with grinder sea salt.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the edges begin to brown (the edges will puff up)--the batter will be gooey.
- Let the brownies cool for 1 hour. Cut the brownies, microwave before serving, adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Are you following me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest? If you’d like to subscribe to Reluctant Entertainer, to have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box, then please add your email, here. It’s really easy! Thanks for being here today!