Pantry Stocked for Chicken Butternut Spinach Soup
Keep your pantry stocked for Chicken Butternut Spinach Soup for last minute dinner guests!
Last-minute entertaining goes like this: If you are prepared, you will have a great time!
I recently whipped up a batch of Chicken Butternut Spinach Soup for dinner, using leftover chicken. (Gasp! Do you ever use leftovers?) What made it easy was that I had most of the ingredients stocked in my pantry, which makes spontaneous gatherings much easier (and affordable).
My philosophy for entertaining is that it doesn’t have to be perfect, but it has to be good.
I always keep cheeses and small bites ingredients on hand for appetizers, and a few sauces (fudge, caramel, pumpkin) and gourmet cookies to add to ice cream for dessert. If I’m really in a pinch, I have chips and homemade salsa in my garage pantry. And last resort, in real desperation, I’ll pull out the nuts or whip up a bag of popcorn.
There are so many ideas for entertaining, it really gets me excited. Especially when you learn the approach that your guests are coming to see you, and not to inspect your menu or home, it really frees you up as a hostess.
I love being freed up. And I love being prepared. And I love having people into our home for a simple meal.
Last week I made this delicious soup, served it in little bowls with crunchy bread, and made a simple pumpkin trifle (I keep Harry & David’s pumpkin butter stocked at all times).
It was the perfect autumn meal. So light and tasty.
Pantry items stocked:
Trader Joe’s Light Coconut Milk
It always makes me happy to see an empty bowl of food, too.
It means that tummies were fed and souls are happy.
What 3 ingredients do you always have on hand in your pantry?
Chicken Butternut Spinach Soup Recipe
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 pound butternut squash, chopped in one-half inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut into slices
- 1 T. curry powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 32 oz. chicken broth
- 1 15 oz. Bush's Garbanzo Beans, rinse and drained
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2-3 cups chopped chicken
- 4 cups spinach
- 2 14 oz. cans light coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine squash, onions, olive oil, curry, and salt and pepper in a shallow roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 25 minutes, until tender.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, combine the squash mixture, broth, beans, raisins and chicken. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the cumin and more salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a mashing tool, mash the ingredients (there will be chunks). Add the spinach. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Lastly, add 2 cans light coconut milk and stir. Season to taste with more salt, pepper, curry, or cumin if needed (optional).
- Ladle soup into small bowls and serve.
Are you following Reluctant Entertainer on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest? If you’d like to subscribe to Reluctant Entertainer, to have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box, then please add your email, here. It’s really easy! Thanks for being here today!