Classic Chicken Salad Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links.
A classic chicken salad recipe made with fresh red grapes, celery, herbs, red onion, and chopped chicken. Delicious served on a croissant!
When I think of a classic chicken salad recipe, I think of enjoying it at a picnic, a barbecue, baby or bridal shower, or a luncheon.
Classic Chicken Salad Recipe
Years ago, my friend Charlotte made it for my bridal shower, and I’ll never forget how delicious it was!
Chicken salad starts with a yummy chicken breast (poached or rotisserie chicken), “hacked” or loosely chopped.
Easy version chicken salad
My version has a little something extra to make it the ultimate chicken salad recipe. It’s easy, flavorful, healthy, and will make your next summer luncheon a breeze.
Just a few ingredients are mixed together in a creamy salad or filling, for a homemade chicken salad sandwich or wrap! Or, are you interested in making your own homemade croissants?
More chicken salad ideas:
This chicken salad is made up of chicken, plus other delicious ingredients. It’s usually made of half a chicken breast (white meat) with add-ins, such as celery, red onion, grapes, nuts, and herbs. We love the flavor of fresh dill. We also love to add in pineapple!
So good, best chicken salad ingredients:
- Red grapes
- Rotisserie chicken
- Red onion
- Dill (optional)
Grab the dressing ingredients in the recipe below!
How do I serve a chicken salad?
Chicken salad is obviously great sandwiched between two slices of toasted bread, but it’s also a great light dinner served on a bed of salad greens, with some crusty bread on the side.
Keep this easy recipe on hand for last-minute prep when last-minute invitations come up!
- Sandwiches – on your favorite bread.
- In a scooped-out avocado.
- Served in a scooped-out tomato.
- Serve with crackers (like a dip)
Better yet, serve it on a board with croissants and you have the perfect lunch board.
What can I add to chicken salad?
- Favorite nuts
- Fruit – strawberries or pineapple
- Some crunch – sunflower seeds or dried onion crisps
- Spice – leave it plain, or add curry or tarragon or fresh basil
- Whole grains or pasta – farro, quinoa, or add your personal favorite pasta
How do you make croissant chicken salad sandwiches?
Toss the ingredients together and layer between a sliced, buttery croissant. You can find fresh, fluffy croissants in the bakery section of your local grocery store, or buy in bulk at Costco. They are delicious, and you can also freeze them!
Hey friends, in these lovely summer months, how about walking to lunch with a friend? Is it doable where you live? It is where we live. When I think of chicken salad, I think of summer’s own version of comfort food, and a great picnic food to enjoy in the outdoors.
Walking is good for us, but it takes awhile — it’s not the most efficient mode of transportation, but that’s not the point. It’s just good for us!
What about the other stuff in our lives that can also benefit from slowness? I love this quote!
“It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn’t use long, difficult words, but rather short, easy words like, ‘What about lunch?’”
—Winnie the Pooh
Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwiches
- Chicken salad:
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 c seedless red grapes, halved
- 2 ½ c rotisserie chicken breast, chopped
- ½ c shaved almonds
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- ⅓ c chives, finely chopped
- ½ c dill, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ¾ Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 ½ Tbsp sherry vinegar
- ½ c mayo
- ¼ c sour cream
- 2 tsp honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp or curry or tarragon, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, celery, grapes, almonds, onions, chives, and dill. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine all the ingredients for the dressing and whisk until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste, then fold into the chicken mixture.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.