How to make Air Fryer Falafel
This most may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Enjoy this “How to make Air Fryer Falafel” post, a Skinnytaste recipe; a healthy potluck or Game Day recipe for entertaining!
Friends, serve a plate of Skinnytaste’s Un-Fried Falafel Recipe, made from my friend Gina’s new cookbook: The Skinnytaste Air Fryer Dinner Cookbook. You can grab more details below.
How to make Air Fryer Falafel
Falafel is a popular Middle Eastern “fast food” made of a mixture of chickpeas, fresh herbs, and spices that are formed into balls. If you love the air fryer, maybe you’ve already tried these popular Bacon-Wrapped Air Fryer Cheesy Jalapeño Poppers.
And friends, have you bought my new cookbook? Buy Big Boards for Families today! It’s “editor’s pick” on Amazon this month!
What exactly is a falafel?
This Falafel is a popular Middle Eastern “fast food” recipe, but made healthier in the air fryer. Better yet, serve it on The Big Board.
Simple ingredients for falafel
- Yellow onion + garlic
- Parsley + cilantro + scallions
- Cumin + kosher salt
- Red pepper flakes
- Baking powder
- All purpose flour
- Olive oil spray
What does falafel taste like?
Though the ingredients in it may vary, traditional falafel has a crunchy texture and a rich, savory, grainy flavor with many herbs and spices including coriander, cumin, parsley, and mint.
You can make this recipe into patties or small balls.
How do you serve falafel?
This recipe is served with hummus and tahini sauce, which is known as a “falafel plate”.
This makes a delicious board for Game Day, or a potluck appetizer. And guess what? They’re made in the air fryer!
What to put on The Big Board (for Game Day)
This is a great recipe to add to The BIG BOARD!
- Plate of Un-Fried Falafel Recipe (below)
- Red onion
- Pita bread
The Skinnytaste Air Fryer Dinner Cookbook
My friend Gina’s Skinnytaste Air Fryer Dinners is finally available. Here’s the link to get a copy!
In Skinnytaste Air Fryer Dinners, Gina delivers 75 air fryer meals, easy for weeknight meals, hearty dinners, or even entertaining!
You can try Gina’s California-style burritos made with steak and fried potatoes, or her perfectly cooked salmon, topped with mustard and dill.
Why cook with an air fryer?
Air fryers allow you to cook meals with less oil, by using hot, well-circulated air to evenly cook and crisp up foods.
More air fryer recipes to try:
Want to make an Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato Board?
Also, there’s little clean-up, which I LOVE.
I came across this quote a few weeks ago, and I’m still thinking about it. So I thought I’d share it with you, as it’s inspiring.
Plant seeds of humility
“Make it a bimonthly goal to engage in a conversation with one who is not part of your political, religious or cultural community, with the intention of learning something from them. Then, watch humility grow, which is a forgotten, yet desperately needed, virtue in our age of polarization and cancellation.”
— Paul Lim
We doubled this recipe, and then plated it on The Big Board, and added the other board items.
Thank you Gina for another wonderful recipe & cookbook!
Friends, The Big Board® is here! Yes, I’ve partnered with JK Adams, the premier woodmaking company in Vermont, with my own line of RE boards!
- 20-inch round, maple
- 26-inch round, maple
- 12 x 36-inch maple
- NEW 12 x 24-inch maple
- 23-inch Lazy Susan
- 26-inch ebonized BLACK, cherry
- 12 x 36-inch ebonized BLACK, cherry
- A board with a lip (or raised edged) so the food doesn’t fall off
- FOOD SAFE
- Made in the USA
- Undercut handles (a unique design)
Thank you for your support, as we’ve sold out so many times already!
Order The Big Board® today!
Un-Fried Falafel Recipe
- 1 15.5 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 small yellow onion, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup roughly chopped parsley
- ⅓ cup roughly chopped cilantro
- ⅓ cup chopped scallions
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- Olive oil spray
Serve on a board with:
- Plate of Un-Fried Falafel Recipe
- Small bowl of hummus
- Small bowl of tahini
- 4-6 sliced tomatoes, like you’d slice for a burger
- 2-4 sliced cucumber
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- Pita bread cut into quarters
- Dry the chickpeas on paper towels.
- In a food processor, combine the onion and garlic and pulse a few times until roughly chopped. Add the parsley, cilantro, scallions, cumin, salt and pepper flakes. Pulse until well blended, 30-60 seconds. Add the chickpeas and pulse 2-3 times more, until just blended, but still slightly chunky NOT pureed.
- Add the baking powder and flour, scrape the sides of the bowl down with a spatula, and pulse 2-3 times until just combined. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, cover and refrigerate 2-3 hours or freeze for 20 minutes.
- Form the falafel mixture into 12 balls. (If it’s too sticky, lightly dust your hands with flour :)
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees.
- Spritz the falafel with oil. Working in batches, add the falafel to the air fryer basket in a single layer. Cook until golden brown and crisp, about 14 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Serve on a board with pita, hummus, tahini sliced tomatoes, cucumbers and red onions. ENJOY!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.