Layered Bacon Pea Salad Recipe
Enjoy this Layered Bacon Pea Salad Recipe, made with layers of pasta and peas, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, and topped with a dressing, bacon and basil! WATCH THE VIDEO!
Friends, I originally posted this recipe when my niece got married a few years ago. We served it at her bridal shower, and of course everyone raved about it. Who doesn’t love a good, old-fashioned Layered Bacon Pea Salad recipe that’s been around forever? A newer, different version is my Barbecued Chicken Layered Pasta Salad recipe.
Layered Pea Salad
This time we brought it back for summer, and have served it several times this year already. Once at a front-deck dinner party, and then we’ve brought it to several potlucks.
It’s the perfect summer salad, because it’s vibrant, delicious (mm-m-m … the dressing), and so pretty when served in a glass dish!
Back to the fall bridal shower a few years ago. We had so much fun! We served a “salad” smorgasboard, with fresh bread, which is super fun for a shower or potluck! And “fall” mum cupcakes were the center star!
Also love this yummy Apricot Almond Appetizer.
My sisters and I created a special moment for our dear niece, Kayla. Even though it’s been almost 4 years now, I think about moments–how they come and go–but they live in our hearts forever. (I miss my sisters and my niece!)
This salad is also my sister, Diane’s, specialty (her family’s favorite as well), and one that my mom and her sisters would make for potlucks and parties year after year. There’s nothing like a “classic.”
Layered Bacon Pea Salad Recipe
So, a week ago I made a video how to put this salad together.
All these delicious ingredients.
Ready, set … GO!
For camping, my niece, Lisa, layers all the ingredients in a Ziploc bag, pressing the air out of it, and then when it’s time to serve, place it in a large bowl. Then you put the dressing and bacon on top.
What I also love about this salad is you can make it any time of year. It’s great for any season, because you use frozen peas.
But my favorite season? Summer! Because then you’re guaranteed to use fresh ripened RED tomatoes! So good!
Layered Bacon Pea Salad
You can use gluten-free pasta. Easy to make the night before and refrigerate.
- 2 cups uncooked medium pasta shells
- 1 pkg (10-12 oz) frozen peas
- 3 cup shredded lettuce (or 1/2 head), thinly sliced
- 3-4 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups Jack or Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1-2 Tbsp. sugar
- ¼ Tbsp. salt
- ¼ Tbsp. pepper
- 8 slices pre-cooked bacon (cooked and chopped) or ½ lb. bacon (cooked, drained, crumbled)
- 2-3 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- Cook pasta shells according to pacakge directions; drain and rinse with cold water. Pour the frozen peas on top and rinse together; mix with hands. Set aside.
- Place the lettuce on the bottom of a 2-1/2 qt. glass serving bowl; top with macaroni and peas.
- Layer the hard cooked eggs, red onions, peas and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar, salt and pepper. Lightly spread over the cheese with a spatula.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, sprinkle the pre-cooked chopped bacon over the salad; top with fresh chopped basil. Serve!
Originally posted November 2014