Organic Applesauce Zucchini Bread
This post may contain affiliate links.
Enjoy my tips and recipe for making a delicious Organic Applesauce Zucchini Bread in the winter months. Serve warm with soft butter!
During the coldest days of winter it’s nice to infuse the house with yumminess and pull bread out of the oven for the family.
We love this Organic Applesauce Zucchini Bread recipe! Also, friends, are you following me on Facebook? My Zucchini Banana Cake with Maple Frosting video went viral this week–everyone is making “zucchini” recipes, and this cake will NOT disappoint (I promise!) If you love maple, try a combo of cream cheese and maple syrup mixed together, spread on a slice of zucchini bread. So good!
Organic Applesauce Zucchini Bread
Make ahead and freeze, and share it with your loved ones, neighbors, or friends! You may also want to make Zucchini Muffins!
Freeze ahead zucchini
One of the tricks of harvesting zucchini in the summer months is to freeze it, usually by measuring it in 2 cup increments (and placing in a Ziploc bag).
Zucchini is so plentiful in the summer months and excellent for baked goods in the winter months.
Ingredients for best zucchini bread
- Spelt flour (or whole wheat flour)
- Raw cane sugar
- Applesauce (use your own canned or frozen applesauce, or what’s in your pantry)
- Baking soda + baking powder + salt
- Grated zucchini
How to freeze zucchini
First of all, for baking you do not need to blanch zucchini before freezing it! I like to do 2 cups at a time (which is the perfect amount for this recipe).
- Pick zucchini and cut off the ends; wash it and set aside.
- Line a plate with a few sheets of paper towels or cheese cloth and place shredded zucchini on top. Squeeze out as much of the water as you can.
- Pack zucchini into freezer bags.
- Lay the bags flat in the freezer until frozen.
So back to a cold winter morning when all of our family was home for the holidays, we indulged in a loaf of zucchini bread.
Some put butter on their warm piece, others, peanut butter, Nutella, or my favorite … Almond Butter.
Toppings to add to applesauce zucchini bread:
- Peanut Butter or Almond Butter
- Butter with cinnamon and sugar
- Jellies or jam
or just butter!
We made our bread with organic spelt flour, which is wheat-free, but feel free to use whole wheat, too. Make ahead, cool, wrap in plastic wrap (then foil) and freeze!
These loaves did not last long in our household.
Another great recipe to make ahead ad freeze are my Chocolate Zucchini Muffins recipe!
What’s your favorite “spread” to put on a warm piece of bread?
If you’re looking to make your own applesauce, follow this post, How to Make Applesauce with KitchenAid® Attachments.
Applesauce Zucchini Bread
- 3 cups spelt flour
- 1 cup raw cane sugar
- 1 cup applesauce, I used my own canned
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 2 cups grated zucchini, if frozen, squeeze excess water
- Mix sugar, applesauce, eggs, vanilla and zucchini together in a large bowl. If using frozen grated zucchini, allow to defrost first, and squeeze excess water before adding to the bowl.
- Mix other ingredients in a smaller bowl, then add them to the applesauce mixture and stir by hand.
- Lightly grease 2 loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan and slicing.
- Serve warm with your favorite topping.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.