Caprese Pasta Bake Recipe
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Simple Caprese Pasta Bake Recipe is packed with fresh Italian flavors, and delivered in a hearty, cheesy 9×13 baked version for an easy meal.
Do you have fresh tomatoes, and enjoy the simplicity of a Caprese salad and Caprese appetizers? We do! But last night we took it to a new level, and made this delicious Caprese Pasta Bake recipe that I’m sharing today. [An oldie-but-goodie recipe reposted from August 2014.]
Caprese Pasta Bake Recipe
Caprese Pasta Bake is a fresh and easy dinner that the entire family will enjoy. It’s all baked until the cheese is melty, and we love it with fresh garden tomatoes. It is sure to be a “company” dinner you’ll make on repeat!
All you need are these 6 simple ingredients Caprese Pasta Bake:
All you need is pasta, fresh tomatoes, creamy mozzarella, and yummy sauce, and fresh basil.
One 9×13 pan.
Delallo products (sauce and pasta) are our favorite!
- Whole wheat pasta, we used Penne Rigate
- Jar of tomato basil pasta sauce
- Rotisserie chicken
- Fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Fresh large tomatoes
- Fresh packed basil leaves
What is caprese?
Caprese is typically a salad. Caprese salad is a simple Italian salad, made of sliced fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and fresh basil, seasoned with salt, and olive oil. Sometimes it has a splash of balsamic vinegar. It is usually arranged on a salad plate.
So we turned the “caprese” salad into a baked pasta dish!
Amazing for summer, this is super easy because you cook everything on the stove (11 minutes for the pasta), it gets stirred together and placed in a pot or pan.
Right before serving, broil it for about 5 minutes to melt the cheese. No heating up the kitchen!
Broil and serve pasta bake
The pasta we used was Delallo’s Penne Pasta, which is organic, whole wheat, made in Italy, and seriously the best pasta ever. Also, Delallo has gluten free pasta, as well!
Mix it up, layer the 9×13 pan, and broil for about 5 minutes!
I guess essentially it’s not a “bake” but a “broil” recipe. But I’ve never heard of “Pasta Broil.” But it’s easy, you just heat, broil, and serve!
But again, optional to pop in the oven and BAKE for 20 minutes.
Here’s a delicious menu to try:
We love this for a weeknight meal, but try serving it for dinner guests with a giant salad, hot crunchy bread, and a light dessert!
Appetizer: Mini Caprese Skewers
Salad: Avocado Pine Nut Salad
For a summer salad: Summer Fruit Caprese Salad
Main Dish: Caprese Pasta Bake (recipe included here)
Vegetarian Side Dish: Cheesy Italian Baked Beans
Dessert: Coffee Affogato With Vanilla Ice Cream (very Italian and so good!)
Plus hot crunchy bread!
Caprese Pasta Bake
- 1 16 oz. bag/box whole wheat pasta, we used Delallo's Penne Rigate
- 1 25 oz. jar of tomato basil pasta sauce
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, chopped
- 16 oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 2-3 medium fresh garden tomatoes
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Make pasta according to package directions, making sure it’s cooked al dente; drain. Chop rotisserie chicken and basil and set aside. Slice tomatoes and mozzarella cheese.
- Returned the drained pasta back into the pot, and combine the pasta, tomato sauce, chicken, and half the basil. Satl and pepper to taste. Heat lightly throughout.
- Turn the oven on to broil. Place the mixture in a 9×13 greased pan. Add the sliced tomatoes and the sliced cheese.
- Broil for about 5-7 minutes, until the cheese begins to brown and is bubbly.
- Serve sprinkled with the remaining chopped basil leaves.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.