The Silence of Nature and Peach Breakfast Cake
This Peach Breakfast Cake is made with fresh peaches; delicious served for a breakfast or brunch!
This past weekend, my husband and I drove up to Union Creek, near Prospect, Oregon to spend a night in our VW. It was cool, beautiful, and we enjoyed every moment. Our friends were up there as well, so we indulged together in yummy appetizers and then walked down to Becki’s for a burger.
Even when we travel, we’re usually connected in some way. But what I love about this location, which is sort of our secret place to go (even though I just told you where it’s at), is that we’re totally unplugged.
That’s right, there’s a phone booth out front, but absolutely no cell coverage, internet — nothing!
I love Sarah Young and read her devotionals every morning. They are such reminders of the importance of each day and the love of God in my life!
The silence of nature.
The silence lets us rest.
We enjoy our coffee, a fire, we read, talk, take a nap.
The silence is between us and nature and God, the stirring of our hearts.
We wake up and turn our faces upward to the early morning sunlight shining through the leaves of the trees.
The taste of coffee, the smell of the fire, the smoke in our eyes, the feel of the cool air … this space becomes an integral part of who we are, how we live, how we slow down, take in, shut down, and reconnect with God.
Peach Breakfast Cake.
This yummy breakfast cake is the best out camping.
Start with fresh peaches, a springform pan, and I use Greek yogurt.
Mix and bake. Slice a few pieces for camping, or take the entire pan with you.
I tell my husband that I don’t need a fancy trailer, motor home, or fifth wheel— our little VW is all we need to take off with little notice, and enjoy a sliver of the silence of nature.
Where do you go for peace and quiet, or to get away from technology for at least a 24-hour period?
Peach Breakfast Cake
- 1/2 cup butter softened, plus more for the pan
- 1 cup sugar plus 2 Tbsp. for the peaches
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups fresh peaches cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 10-inch springform pan, and line it with buttered parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, sugar, eggs, yogurt, and almond extract. Mix well. Add flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda, and mix gently by hand. Do not over-mix.
- Put the batter into the springform pan.
- Toss the peach pieces with the 2 Tbsp. sugar, and sprinkle over the cake.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes and transfer to a cake plate. Dust with powdered sugar and serve!
Are you following me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest? If you’d like to subscribe to Reluctant Entertainer, to have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box, then please add your email, here. It’s really easy! Thanks for being here today!