Pomegranate Kale Salad
This post may contain affiliate links.
It’s easy to get caught in a cooking rut over the holidays, and make the same dishes over and over again. For me, I love to start new traditions and try new recipes, especially with what is fresh for the season. Like delicious bright red pomegranate seeds and rich, dark green kale. I tried this Pomegranate Kale Salad on my family, marrying these two ingredients together in a sweet balsamic dressing, with a few other added flavors. A big hit!
In our house, holidays are about choices and trying something new!
This year I decided to not put the ornaments on the tree, but to keep it simple with little white lights. Why not?
I didn’t open half the boxes of Christmas decor in the garage, but instead I only brought in a few of my favorite things. Freeing!
And instead of going overboard with cooking, I’m relying on potluck for many of my dinner parties. Of course I set the menu, and then I ask my guests to bring certain entrees. It’s okay as the hostess to set the menu exactly how you’d like it to be. It’s your house, your party, and your menu!
Salads for me, growing up at Christmastime, always seemed to be coated with lots of whipped cream, or surprise foods inside of a brightly colored jello. I do remember my mom making a layered salad with iceberg lettuce and green peas (and a mayonnaise dressing with sugar – blah!), but gone are those days, as now I really try to make healthier dishes for the holidays.
This salad turned out perfect. Especially when letting the kale sit for awhile, soaking up the flavors and dressing, which makes it tender and yet still crisp at the same time, and the flavors really POP!
I dare you to try something new this holiday season!
What’s your standard salad that you prepare for holiday gatherings?
Pomegranate Kale Salad Recipe
- 6-8 oz. kale, cut, cleaned, and chopped in small pieces
- 4.5 oz. diced onions, garlic, and shallots (I buy pre-chopped at Trader Joe’s)
- 1/4 cup olive oil + 2 T. extra for dressing
- 2 T. balsamic vinegar
- 1 T. honey
- Salt and pepper
- 3 oz. blue cheese
- 1/4 pomegranite seeds
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Place the kale in a large salad bowl. Set aside. Chop the parsley and set aside.
- Heat 2 T. olive oil in a sauté pan and cook the diced onions, garlic and shallots for 2-3 minutes. Add the pine nuts and cook another 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
- In a small bowl, add the 1/4 cup olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, and salt and pepper and mix together.
- Pour the dressing over the kale and massage into the leaves (using your hands or salad tongs).
- Add the sautéed mixture to the kale, sprinkle the pomegranate seeds and crumble the blue cheese on top.
- Lastly add the parsley. Mix together and let sit for up to an hour before serving.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.