Lake Dinner with Summer Zucchini Galette
This post may contain affiliate links.
This Summer Zucchini Galette is a delightful dish to bring to a summer picnic, potluck, or lake dinner party.
My last birthday celebration this summer was up at Rocky Point Resort. My friends are all excellent cooks, but I have to say that the Summer Zucchini Galette was the recipe most talked about. Sarah was the star, adapting the recipe she found in Better Homes and Garden. I had eyed that recipe, too, with so much summer zucchini in our garden right now!
Our time together was so special. I am blessed with so many great friends, I get a little weepy just thinking about it. I think everyone wants to feel loved and special, but not everyone does. There are so many lonely people out there. Sometimes instead of waiting to be reached out to, we just have to reach out ourselves, and draw people into our lives.
My friends made our 3 days together on the lake (Rocky Point Resort) sort of like a story you’d read about. It truly was magical …
They whisked me off in a canoe, just around the bend to the resort, and little did I know that when we turned the corner …
This would be waiting for me.
Perfect in every way. The rug, the table, the chairs, the setting. The tiki torches on the corner of the dock. The sky, the menu, the friends, the decor.
It was a dinner party like none other. (Trip tip, Summer Zucchini Galette, Wedge Salad, and roasted potatoes).
Blessings come with surprises. I’ve heard I’m hard to surprise, but this time I was completely amazed, and it was a fabulous night.
Do you think out-of-the-box when it comes to your making your friends’ birthdays special?
Summer Zucchini Galette
- 2 medium summer zucchini squash, thinly sliced (2 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 15- oz. package rolled refrigerated unbaked piecrust
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg yolk
- Fresh herbs, finely chopped
- Sprinkle zucchini with salt; transfer to a colander; drain for 15 minutes. Remove and pat dry with paper towels.
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Roll the pie crust on lightly floured parchment, to form a 12-inch circle. Transfer the dough to a baking sheet or stone.
- Mix the next 7 ingredients in a small bowl, ending with salt and pepper. Spread the ricotta mixture onto the piecrust, leaving a 1 1/2″ border.
- Top with zucchini rounds. Drizzle with olive oil. Gently fold over the pasty edges, pleating as necessary.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and 1 tsp. water. Lightly brush the pastry edges with egg mixture.
- Bake the galette in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.
- Sprinkle with fresh herbs, such as finely chopped dill weed or basil.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.