The Best Nacho Recipe and World Cup
This post may contain affiliate links.
Today I’m sharing The Best Nacho Recipe, according to our kids and their friends, baked to perfection, drizzled with a delicious hot sauce on top!
Because we are a soccer family, we invited our family’s friends over to watch the USA play Belgium last week. Sadly, the USA lost, but we were so impressed with their play! But we did enjoy this The Best Nacho Recipe!!
Lately I’ve been on a nacho kick. Nachos are super easy, that we almost always have the ingredients on hand, and that they are a hit with all ages and genders. Which is perfect for watching a World Cup soccer game, combined with refreshing drinks and good ol’ USA spirit.
What makes a nacho nice and crisp is to bake it in the oven. Serve it nice and hot, with a lot of ingredients, piling the “fresher ingredients” after baking, and serve on your favorite platter.
The Best Nacho Recipe.
While the game started, I was feeling rushed, but quickly got my nacho mojo going. For this The Best Nacho Recipe, I quickly browned the turkey, pulled out all the ingredients, drained the beans, chopped the tomatoes, cilantro, and opened up a can of Trader Joe’s Corn Salsa.
Here are 3 ingredients that make the best nacho – in my humble opinion. If you’re from Portland, Oregon, you’ll be totally familiar with The Taco House dressing; and most people have a nearby Trader Joe’s for the Corn Salsa, and everyone has access to Bush’s Beans. Of course you can substitute any of these ingredients, but the secret to “the best nacho” is to bake it and to serve it HOT.
Lay down the chips and cheese.
Another layer of chips, ground turkey, corn salsa, and cheese.
Another layer of chips, beans, and a different kind of cheese (mixing up different flavors of cheese is what makes a nacho awesome!)
Layer and layer and bake.
Keep on layering, until it’s as high as you want it.
Bake – then while hot, add sour cream, fresh tomatoes, and guacamole!
We dove into this nacho like it was the deep end of a swimming pool. I’m not sure if it was out of hunger, or nerves for the USA, but we devoured it in no time.
We were sad over the outcome.
But the emotions die down, and it’s just good to all be together.
Up Next? We’d love to see Brazil make it to the finals, not only for their style of play and beautiful passing, but because they are the host nation.
What’s your favorite nacho ingredient, and do you bake or microwave?
The Best Nacho Recipe
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 pound bag of your favorite tortilla chips, I used Trader Joe’s Organic White Corn Tortilla Chips
- 1 can Bush’s black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups Mexican cheese blend, grated
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2-3 to matoes, chopped
- 1-2 avocados, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- Taco House Dressing, optional
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Saute the garlic for 1 minute, then add the onions, stirring and cooking for 2-3 more minutes. Add the ground turkey, breaking into small pieces, and cook until browned, about 6-8 minutes. Add in the cumin, salt and pepper.
- While the ground turkey is cooking, line a baking sheet or ovenproof dish with tortilla chips, layering cheese on top.
- Chop the tomatoes and avocado; set aside.
- On top of the first layer of chips and cheese, lay down more chips, ground turkey, corn salsa, and cheese.
- Then layer more chips, beans, and a different kind of cheese (mixing up different flavors of cheese is what makes a nacho awesome!)
- Keep alternating the layers, until it’s as high as you want, and you’ve used all the ingredients. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 2-3 minutes, then add sour cream, fresh tomatoes, and avocados.
More Mexican snack recipes:
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.