Trader Joe’s Sweet Potato Lasagna
Adapted from Run Fast. Eat Slow. Cookbook’s Marathon Lasagna recipe, this Trader Joe’s Sweet Potato Lasagna is easy, delicious, and a real crowd pleaser!
The table is a place to get to know one another, or a new idea, to laugh, or possibly even start thinking in a different way. We can challenge each other in thought and ideas, and when done in a civil way, it’s a beautiful thing.
Trader Joe’s Sweet Potato Lasagna
Add a beautiful Trader Joe’s Sweet Potato Lasagna to the table, with a loaf of bread and a giant green salad.
Magic will happen. Not only with the food, but with the people around the table.
This delicious recipe is a great place to start! Or, if you love a white sauce, try this White Sauce Pesto Lasagna.
You can buy everything in this recipe from Trader Joe’s, which I love.
My friend Steph turned me on to this amazing cookbook, so go and buy it for yourself if you want some really healthy recipes to try!
Here’s the book I adapted this recipe from today: Run Fast. Eat Slow. By: Shalane Flanagan & Elyse Kopecky (click on the amazon link).
This dish serves about 10, with possibly a few leftovers.
The recipe calls for ground turkey, but you can always use beef or chicken, or just add more veggies for a vegetarian option.
Or, you may love this Turkey Lasagna Soup.
How to make easy lasagna
Friends, the layers of sweet potatoes (mixed with the ricotta) and the spinach are to die for.
Then of course, the cheese!
Use your favorite pasta. This recipe uses the no-boil lasagna noodles, so it’s really quick and easy to put together.
I like to line a cookie sheet with foil and bake sweet potatoes at 425 until cooked and soft. It depends on how big they are. It can take anywhere from 40 minutes to 1 hour. Also optiona to peel and boil the sweet potatoes.
Set the food out buffet style, and let everyone dig in!
Friends, the secret to good lasagna?
The secret to good lasagna
You have to let it cool. If you have “pig mouth”–a term that I learned from my friend, Pam, when you’re starting and you eat cheese when it’s too hot and burn the roof of your mouth–then you ruin the experience of really slowing down and enjoying the flavors of the food.
Don’t serve it hot out of the oven!
Wait and allow it to cool.
Please, you will thank me later.
Trader Joe's Sweet Potato Lasagna
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 25 oz. jars Trader Joe’s organic marinara sauce
- 1 16 oz. pkg. Trader Joe’s no-boil lasagna noodles use half of the box
- 1 bag (12 ouncebaby spinach
- 3 cups mashed cooked sweet potato
- 1 container (16 ouncewhole milk ricotta
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese grated
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400Place a 13×9.x2 inch baking sheet on top of a rimmed baking sheet.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the turkey, garlic, oregano, red pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the turkey is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the marinara sauce and simmer over low heat while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat, and cook the spinach with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt until wilted, about 3 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sweet potato, ricotta, eggs and black pepper.
- In the bottom of the baking dish, spread 1 1/2 cups of the meat sauce, and top with a layer of 5 noodles. Spread half the sweet potato mixture over the noodles and top with all of the spinach. Start another layer with 1 1/2 cups of the sauce, then half the shredded mozzarella, 5 noodles, and the remaining sweet potato mixture. Top with another 1 1/2 cups sauce, the remaining shredded mozzarella, and finally the parmesan.
- Cover the dish with foil. Bake in the center of the oven on top of the baking sheet (to catch any drippingfor 25-30 minutes. If you made the meat sauce and sweet potatoes in advance and they were added cold, bake an extra 15 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake until golden and bubbling, 10-15 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes prior to serving and slicing.
This post has affiliate links. Every purchase from these links supports RE at no extra cost to you. Thank you!