Beef and Guinness Stew for St. Patrick’s Day

Beef and Guinness Stew for St. Patrick's Day

This is the receipt that led my husband and me to his unknown family in Dublin, a few years back.

My husband and I went to England, as he was touring and speaking there, and we popped over to Dublin for a few days to see if we could meet some of his family. His parents were both born and raised in Dublin.

It was a trip of a lifetime, as we got to meet aunts, uncles, and cousins that Paul had never met, and reconnect with a few that he had.

The receipt, however, is how we found his Dad’s side of the family. It was un-decipherable here, until the concierge was able to help us. We looked up the address, got on a bus to Kimage, and the adventure began.

I could write many posts on our fabulous time in Ireland, but today I’m sharing a fantastic recipe that I just pulled out of an old Irish cookbook I’ve had laying around, Irish Traditional Cooking by Darina Allen. If you’re entertaining this week, or just want something deliciously different for your family – make the following recipe, with this secret ingredient!

The pages fell open to the Beef and Guinness Stew, and as the Irish would say:

The believer is happy, the doubter is wise. -Irish Proverb

Which to me meant – MAKE THIS RECIPE! :) I didn’t doubt it for a second. :) It’s even better if you make it a few days in advance, and let it sit in the fridge. The book calls it a “wonderful gutsy stew.”

Gather the ingredients.

Tenderize the meat. I always use either parchment paper or plastic wrap so I don’t get spattered!

If you don’t have a good food processor, it’s really the secret to QUICK meals, when you use a lot of veggies and herbs. Mine is from KitchenAid.

The flavor comes from the sweet carrots and onions. So get chopping away!

Pull out your favorite cookware.

And put it all together, with fresh herbs on top.

And we are not a bit sad that there are no potatoes, although if the boys were home from college, I’d be “stretching the meal” by adding some. You can also serve it with plain boiled potatoes (the Irish way!)

ENJOY and if you make it next week, let me know!

Do you have a twist on stew that you can share?

Want to know more about Guinness?: This is Ireland’s famous black stout, and has been brewed in Dublin since 1759. It has a very special place in Irish life. They used to call the pint the ‘liquid food.’ Nowadays the ‘liquid food’ is used increasingly in cooking. It is a tasty addition to stews and casseroles, helping to tenderize the meat, and imparting its distinctive malty flavor to any dish.

16 Responses to “Beef and Guinness Stew for St. Patrick’s Day”

Cassie | Bake Your Day — March 8, 2013 @ 8:41 am

I might have to make this over the weekend. Totally drooling over these flavors!

JulieD — March 8, 2013 @ 8:43 am

Looks beautiful, Sandy!! I love Guinness in beef stew!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — March 8, 2013 @ 9:39 am

I just got my Irish cookbook out to explore some St. Paddy’s recipes. This looks marvelous and I’d love to hear more about your trip to Ireland.

Aggie — March 8, 2013 @ 9:59 am

Guinness is one of all time favorite beers – usually my beer of choice when out at a bar! Love it’s flavor & love it in this stew! Your photos look so delicious Sandy! Love all the color.

Paula - bell'alimento — March 8, 2013 @ 12:40 pm

I love a good hearty stew!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — March 8, 2013 @ 1:16 pm

This is the most perfect, delicious stew. My husband loves Guinness!

Cathy Pollak @ Noble Pig — March 9, 2013 @ 8:17 am

Sounds like an amazing trip and I love the wonderful meal that reminds you of it all. Guinness adds such great complexity to food!

Ruthy @ omeletta — March 10, 2013 @ 12:45 pm

I love Darina Allen! And, not-coincidentally, Guinness :) I met my husband in Dublin, and I miss the deep and hearty Guinness stews I’ve had over there. Something about the Irish air makes things taste better, don’t you think?

Angie — March 12, 2013 @ 1:45 pm

I have to make this, looks perfect for St. Patty’s Day, and what a great adventure meeting your in-laws!

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — March 12, 2013 @ 7:51 pm

This sounds absolutely wonderful! And I love that you had the chance to spend time in Dublin — such a beautiful place! :)

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — March 12, 2013 @ 8:59 pm

Oh, how I’d love to visit Ireland! What a gorgeous stew – I especially like beers and ales and such for stews and braising.

Linda Ford — March 17, 2013 @ 8:22 pm

I made your recipe this week and loved it! Thanks for sharing. I also tried your superfood salad and am now hooked!

Shaina — March 18, 2013 @ 8:26 am

Guinness beef stew is one of my favorite meals. Gorgeous.

Helen Longenbach — March 13, 2014 @ 9:46 am

Where can I get this ingredient, or can I use the beer?

1. Pingback: Chicken Pot Pie for St. Patrick's Day Recipe | Barbara Bakes

2. Pingback: St. Patrick's Day and Ireland Memories | reluctantentertainer.com Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening