Bacon-Wrapped Meat Loaf Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links.
This Bacon-Wrapped Meat Loaf Recipe is from The Grain-Free Family Table cookbook, and is delicious to serve for a fabulous family dinner.
Do you have that one recipe that everyone in the family asks for over and over? It always turns out perfect, and is loved by all? Yes to a good meatloaf recipe!
Bacon-Wrapped Meat Loaf Recipe
My family has always loved a good meat loaf, and today I’m sharing a brand new recipe, Bacon-Wrapped Meat Loaf, from my friend Carrie Vitt’s new book, The Grain-Free Family Table. I think it’s a pretty dish to serve the family for any weeknight meal!
Ingredients for bacon wrapped meatloaf
- Carrot, celery, red pepper
- Sea salt
- Dried thyme
- Beef liver (optional … keep reading)
- Ground beef
- Almond flour
- Maple syrup
The Grain-Free Family Table
In Carrie’s The Grain-Free Family Table cookbook, she provides delicious, family-friendly recipes for a workable unprocessed, grain-free lifestyle. Try some of the recipes like Zingers, Ham and Egg Cups, Eggplant and Zucchini Lasagna, Pork Carnitas Breakfast Crepe Tacos. Or Grain-Free Biscuits, Avocado with Mango-Shrimp Salsa, Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Alfredo with Chicken and Vegetables, and Cauliflower “Fried Rice” and the Slow Cooker Sunday Roast!
Pantry and budgets
Carrie shows how she keeps her pantry stocked, which ingredients and kitchen tools she uses, plus tips on how to adapt and transform recipes from magazines and books—and make them grain-free!
Main dish recipes make up the bulk of most family food budgets, and she also explains how to create these healthy recipes, but not break the bank!
Here’s some of her tips on cutting costs (which she goes into detail on in the book).
-Buy food, not packaging.
-Buy in season.
-Order pantry staples online.
-Grow your own herbs.
-Buy your meat straight from the farm.
-Buy in bulk.
-Plan your meals.
How to make bacon-wrapped meat loaf
The recipe today has liver! Yes, liver!
For most people, liver is at the bottom of the list of desired foods, but it’s actually the most nutrient-dense of all foods with vitamins A and B and iron, so it’s a great addition to the diet.
Like Carrie, I made this meat loaf with liver, and everyone loved and complimented this dish! (But guess what, the liver is optional!)
Started with the large loaf in a 9×13 pan.
Added the criss-cross bacon.
Then drizzle over the loaf maple syrup. (Yay, for Wagner’s Pure Maple Syrup from Wisconsin that my friend, Barb, sent me!)
We all agreed it was a great way to add in the extra nutrients!
So delicious, I hope you enjoy this weeknight recipe to make tonight!
More meat loaf recipes to try:
Bacon Wrapped Turkey Meat Loaf (if you love ground turkey)
4 Ingredient Turkey Sweet Potato Meatballs (similar to meat loaf but in small balls)
Bacon-Wrapped Meat Loaf
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, (1/2 stick)
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. dried thyme
- 2 large eggs, gently beaten
- 1/4 pound 4 ounces beef liver
- 2 pounds grass-fed ground beef
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 6 bacon slices
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and adjust the rack to the middle position.
- Heat the butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the carrot, celery, and bell pepper and sauté for 5-7 minutes, until soft. Move the vegetables to the side of the pan and add the salt and thyme in the center. Stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds, then stir the seasonings into the vegetables. Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture cool for about 10 minutes.
- Place the eggs and liver in the bowl of a food processor blender and blend until smooth. Place the ground beef, almond flour, and liver mixture in a large bowl. Add the cooled vegetables and stir until combined. Pour the mixture into a 9×11 baking dish and form into a large loaf.
- Arrange the bacon in a crisscross pattern on top and use a pastry brush to brush the top with maple syrup. Pour 3/4 cup water in the bottom of the pan. (This keeps the meat loaf moist.) Bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until golden brown. Let the meat loaf rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- PALEO/DAIRY-FREE ADAPTION: Use 3 Tbsp. coconut oil in place of the butter.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.