Balela Salad or Dip Recipe
Balela Salad is a delicious middle Eastern salad, gluten-free and vegetarian. Great served as a black bean salad or dip, optional to add feta cheese. WATCH THE VIDEO!
Friends, a yummy, yummy middle eastern Mediterranean style black bean salad, you’ll love this recipe today served as a dip or a side salad. It’s a scrumptious combination of garbanzo beans and black beans, mixed with diced tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, cucumber, onion, garlic, parsley and basil! You may also love this Cucumber and Chickpea Salad with Citrus (so good).
Make it gluten-free, vegan, or vegetarian
This next week we’re hosting a couple “game day” small parties.
But honestly, this recipe is a HIT at every party. Not just for game days. It’s light, healthy, and can meet many dietary needs: gluten-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Optional to leave out the feta cheese!
What is Balela Salad?
What is Balela Salad: Balela is a Middle-Eastern garbanzo bean (or chickpeas) and black bean salad drizzled with an oily, spiced vinaigrette. Of course there are other delicious ingredients, like fresh herbs.
Balela Salad or Dip Recipe
It’s nice to serve this Balela Salad or Dip Recipe as a side dish (delicious paired with recipes like Honey Lime Boneless Chicken Thighs or Mexican Pasta Shells Recipe or Mexican Rice Salad), or as an appetizer (serve in small shot glasses, with mini forks), eat in a wrap, or add to a salad.
Looking for a Mexican-themed dessert? I’ve got it for you: Mexican Flan Cake (watch the video).
I really love the versatility of this salad. Oh, and you can even serve it as a dip, perfect for crackers or chips!
How to serve balela salad
- As a side dish
- As an appetizer (small shot glasses)
- In a wrap
- Mashed, on a sandwich
- As a dip, with crackers and chips
Super easy to serve in these shot glasses!
Dig in and enjoy!
- 2 15 ounce cans Bush’s garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 15 ounce cans Bush’s black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped onion about half a small one
- 1 jalapeno finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes best if use the ones in oil in a jar
- 1 pint grape tomatoes cut in half
- 1/3 cup fresh dill chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh basil chopped (or mint)
- 1/3 cup fresh Italian parsley flat leaf, chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Feta cheese optional
- In a medium bowl, mix together the chickpeas, black beans, onion, jalepeno pepper, sun dried tomatoes, tomatoes, and herbs.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, vinegar, and salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad mixture; lightly stir.
- Refrigerate salad several hours or overnight to meld flavors.
- Optional to add feta cheese.
This post has affiliate links. Every purchase from these links supports RE at no extra cost to you. Thank you!