Any Season Banana Cream Pie
This most may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Banana Cream Pie is made with a crushed vanilla wafer crust, a delicious dessert served with whipped cream, for any season, or any party!
What makes a party memorable? I always say the people. And when I think of a banana cream pie now, I think of my Dad and his wife, Ginny!
Earlier this spring, we enjoyed a lovely meal together, and of course Ginny asked what she could bring. Knowing my kids were all home from college, and our family loves her desserts, I said, Banana Cream Pie!
I love it when a recipe stands out in your mind – as something tasty and good!
I also think that feelings go hand in hand with our thoughts about food. Food tastes good when you’re with someone you love, or enjoy being with.
Cooking for me is a labor of love, and something I really enjoy. I was reading the other day, an article of someone who was exhausted after hosting a dinner. Yup, been there. They are tiring, the big parties. But smaller dinners together with friends, I find a bit more enjoyable and rejuvenating.
It really depends on your personality, or if you’re an introvert or extrovert, and how much can handle, right?
Banana Cream Pie
For this pie, you’ve got to start with ripe bananas, a creamy vanilla custard, and then the secret is in the crust! Delicious vanilla wafer crumb crust. Mmm . . . so very delightful.
I’m always up for a crumb crust, because it’s a true time saver!
Whip the cream, spread it on top of the pie, and then let the guests dig in!
Well, let’s just say … there are not a whole lot of leftovers with Banana Cream Pie!
Banana Cream Pie
- 2 cups crushed vanilla wafers
- 1 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoon butter
- Crush the vanilla wafers by placing in a heavy-duty plastic bag. Use a rolling pin to roll over the cookies to crush them. Measure until you get 2 cups of crumbs. You can also use a food processor. Add the sugar and melted butter; stir to combine.
- Press the mixture evenly into a buttered pie pan.
- Place the crust in the freezer to get hard while you make the filling.
- Place the dry ingredients (sugar, flour, cornstarch, salt) in a saucepan. Add the light cream and whisk together. Add the egg yolks and whisk.
- Heat over low heat, stirring regularly, until the mixture is thick and just begins to bubble. Add the butter and vanilla and stir. Let the mixture cool for fifteen minutes.
- Spread the banana slices evenly across the bottom of the chilled pie shell. Pour the filling over the banana slices. Chill for several hours. Garnish with additional whipped cream if desired.
More summer dessert recipes:
And my favorite … Fruit Pizza
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.