Best Vanilla Basil Sugar Syrup
Fresh basil leaves are steeped in sugar and water to create a sweet herbal syrup: Best Vanilla Basil Sugar Syrup. Enjoy for mocktails.
Oh, Friends, this is lovely for summer. Do you love setting out a pitcher of homemade lemonade? Well, it just got better, with this Vanilla Basil Sugar Syrup.
Best Vanilla Basil Sugar Syrup
This post is about how to make your own syrup!
Spritzed drink or cocktail
But wait, you can also use this for any spritzed drink or cocktail. It’s also a wonderful addition of flavor for sweetening your iced tea, popsicles, granitas, and yes, lemonade, for an herby, fresh twist. The fragrant basil adds a wonderful floral note to the simple syrup, and then combined with vanilla?! Oh, my, goodness!
This is a great recipe for summer mixed drinks or mocktails! You can also add syrup to sparkling water with vodka and fresh citrus. You may also want to try my Hugo Cocktail Recipe.
Fresh basil leaves are steeped in sugar and water to create a sweet herbal syrup. Then add vanilla to add flavor to summer’s most refreshing cocktails, mocktails, lemonades, and frozen treats.
What is simple syrup used for?
A simple syrup is a “sugar syrup,” a liquefied form of sugar that is commonly used to sweeten iced tea, iced coffee, lemonade, and cocktails.
- Iced tea or iced coffee
- Popsicles and icy granitas
- Cocktails and mocktails
- Add it to a sorbet recipe
- Summer punch
- Drizzled over berries or fruit salad
- For moistening cakes
Mocktails or cocktails!
We love to make this for guests to add to their favorite gin, vodka, or bourbon cocktails—or for a luncheon to add to iced tea or lemonade. Mocktails or cocktails!
Making a simple syrup is very easy. It involves adding equal parts water and sugar in a saucepan and heating it until the sugar dissolves. This makes a beautiful homemade sweetener that you can enjoy anytime.
How long does simple syrup keep?
Simple syrups do have a decent shelf life, when prepared and stored properly.
Should last in the fridge one month, or up to six months.
More beverages to try!
Get the Recipe:
Vanilla Basil Simple Syrup
- 1 ½ c white sugar
- 1 ½ c water
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- 4 large sprigs fresh basil
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, water, and kosher salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until liquid has reduced by about 1/3. You should have 12-16 oz by the end. Remove from heat, add the vanilla and basil sprigs and stir. Steep the sprigs for 3-5 minutes until wilted, then remove. Transfer to a bottle and store in the refrigerator.
- For mixed drinks, use about 1 tsp per 8 oz of liquid. Serve with fresh citrus and sparkling water, or develop your own mixed drink creation!
Hello and welcome to my home and table!
I’m Sandy—lover of food, family, cooking, THE BIG BOARD, travel, and bringing people together. Through great recipes and connection around the table, we become better, stronger, and more courageous people. Feasting on Life is real, and every time we do it, we grow a little more. Read more...