Chicken Bacon Sweet Potato Soup
This post may contain affiliate links.
Just in time for soup season, this Chicken Bacon Sweet Potato Soup is comforting, flavorful, and delicious served with a loaf of hot, crunchy bread!
Friends, are you ushering in fall with a list of new soup recipes to try? Well, you won’t want to miss out on this Chicken Bacon Sweet Potato Soup. I served it to my family a few nights before Abby left for college.
A simple meal, we enjoyed it with hot, crusty, whole-grain bread and a side slaw salad. We ventured indoors to eat at the dining table, giving up our usual front deck dinner table because of the cooler weather.
Chicken Bacon Sweet Potato Soup
Our family loves soup!
Some of my favorite recipes on my blog are Creamy Butternut Squash Soup and Smoked Tomato Bacon Soup. Oh, and then there’s Best Clam Chowder! My friend Brenda posted a recipe I’m dying to try: Smoked Turkey Pot Pie Soup! (YUM!)
Whether in the slow cooker or in a Dutch oven on the stove, gathering the ingredients for soup is one of my favorite things to do.
Make a grocery list of sweet potatoes, bacon, kale, and stock. Then add leek, shallots, and fresh herbs.
This recipe is ideal for a weekend soup dinner party!
A good reminder for fall, and how easy it is to make soup, is to leave your intimidation at the door. If you struggle with feeling that you need to make a fancy meal, soup is not only easy, it’s nourishing, comforting, and classy.
“Do you have a kinder, more adaptable friend in the food world than soup? Who soothes you when you are ill? Who refuses to leave you when you are impoverished and stretches its resources to give a hearty sustenance and cheer? Who warms you in the winter and cools you in the summer? Yet who also is capable of doing honor to your richest table and impressing your most demanding guests? Soup does its loyal best, no matter what undignified conditions are imposed upon it. You don’t catch steak hanging around when you’re poor and sick, do you?” — Judith Martin
I love to get a pot simmering on the stove (in my LeCreuset Dutch Oven), adding sweet potatoes and kale near the end of cooking.
Serve it up, right on the stove, and top with fresh Parmesan cheese! DELISH!
Who will you be serving a pot of soup to in the near future?
Chicken Bacon and Sweet Potato Soup
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 1/2 - 2 pounds chicken breasts, sliced thinly
- Salt & pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced leek, from 2 large leeks
- 2 large shallots, sliced thinly
- 2 cups sliced carrot, from 2 large carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery, from 2 large stalks
- 6 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 5 thyme sprigs
- 12 ounces sweet potatoes, cut in chunks (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups coarsely chopped kale
- Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven on stovetop over medium-high heat, until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings in pan. Set bacon aside.
- Heavily salt and pepper the chicken. Add chicken to bacon drippings in pan; cook 6 minutes, browning on all sides.
- Transfer chicken to the bacon, reserving any drippings in pan.
- Add leek, carrot, and celery to drippings in pan; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in 1 cup stock, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add to leek mixture, the bacon and chicken mixture, remaining 5 cups stock, salt, pepper, and thyme sprigs to slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 2 hours on stovetop.
- The last hour, add sweet potatoes; cover and cook on LOW for 1 more hour or until potatoes are tender.
- Discard thyme sprigs. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces (optional); add kale, stirring until spinach wilts.
- Serve with fresh Parmesan cheese!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.