Farmer’s Red Potato Salad Recipe
The ultimate end of summer salad, enjoy fresh Farmer’s Red Potato Salad Recipe. It’s a red potato salad made with corn on the cob, garden vegetables, and a creamy balsamic dressing. What are the best potatoes for potato salad? This red skin potato salad (yes, leave the skins on), delicious for any picnic or potluck!
Friends, a few years back I went to the heart of rural America, to visit Black Gold Farms for a farm tour! Today I’m sharing my experience with you, plus a favorite summer salad, Farmer’s Red Potato Salad Recipe.
Red potato salad
This red skin potato salad tastes even better now that I’ve visited the farms …
It was smack dab in the middle of summer (it was hot), that our adventure took us to Black Gold Farms. There we met the Halverson family, learning more how Hallie Halverson planted his first crop of potatoes on the home farm near Forest River, N.D., in 1928.
Not only did we walk through the potato fields, we enjoyed a farm-cooked meal with the farmers.
These farms not only sustain themselves and the land they cultivate, but they help feed the world!
What are the best potatoes for potato salad?
We learned about fresh grown white chippers, golds, fingerlings, sweet potatoes, and reds. Red, of course, are the best potatoes for potato salad! :) Learning where our food comes from makes food taste better and there’s nothing quite like taking an agriculture experience with a farm tour.
Speaking of reds, I received a bag of goodies in the mail, including a 5 pound bag of reds.
Farmer’s Red Potato Salad Recipe
Potato salad is so versitile, but this recipe, with a creamy balsamic dressing and fresh corn on the cob and garden tomatoes, is my all time favorite!
You can also add black beans or any other farm/garden veggies. There are so many options!
Try mixing and matching a few recipes together, and just use up what you have in my fridge!
The balsamic dressing is out of this world!
Prepare the potatoes a day or two in advance (do not over cook them, and leave the red skins on) and let them marinate in the sauce!
Boil eggs, allow to cool, and store in the fridge until you’re ready to assemble the salad.
Enjoy the perfect summer potluck or party potato salad!
What’s your favorite way to use “red potatoes” in a salad?
Farmer's Red Potato Salad
- 2 1/2 pounds Black Gold Farms Red Potatoes cut into 1″ chunks
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels about 4 ears
- 1 cup green beans blanched and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup radishes thinly sliced
- 1 cup small heirloom tomatoes or grape tomatoes cut in small pieces
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives cut in half
- 4-5 hard cooked eggs quartered
- 2 tablespoons each chopped fresh tarragon basil, and dill
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar Trader Joe’s White Balsamic Vinegar is excellent!
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil water in a medium size pan for the potatoes. Once the water comes to boil, add the potatoes until the potatoes are soft (fork tender), 8 minutes or so. Drain; set aside.
- While the potatoes are boiling, in a small bowl, whisk together the salad dressing of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard and salt and pepper. Add the dressing to the cooled potatoes and marinate the day before (for better flavor), or the day of. Leave a few tablespoons of dressing to drizzle over the top before serving.
- At the same time, in a smaller pan, boil water for the green beans. When the water comes to a boil, add the green beans for 2 minutes. Use a collander and hold under cold water under the sink until green beans are cooler or immediately put into ice water.
- Boil the 4 eggs and cool. Peel and quarter right before serving.
- Chop the other ingredients, including the fresh herbs. Leave some fresh leaves out to garnish the salad with.
- Right before serving, add all of the ingredients to the already marinated potatoes. Toss together and serve, drizzling the last 2 Tb. of dressing over the salad.
- Garnish with fresh herbs.
Roasted Potato Salad with Bacon Dressing from Foodie Crush
Red Potato and Shrimp Hash from Big Bear’s Wife
6 Amazing Recipes with Red Potatoes from A Farmgirl’s Dabbles
Shrimp Boil with Mushrooms and Dill from Cook the Story
and Crawfish Boil Recipe from Cook the Story
This post was sponsored by Black Gold Farms. As always, all opinions are my own.