Irish Beef & Lamb Stew Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links.
Enjoy a hearty Irish Beef Lamb Stew Recipe for a great meal! This Irish stew is combined with beef and lamb to make a tender, flavorful one pot meal!
When’s the last time you had one or two people over for a healthy, simple meal? No extras or frills? Just a one pot meal, sitting around a cozy table with good friends?
Irish Beef Lamb Stew Recipe
This Irish Beef & Lamb Stew Recipe is nothing fancy, and that’s why we love it! Serve it with these Irish Soda Bread Muffins – so good!
It is so easy to make, you can even skip the searing steps and simply combine the ingredients together and throw it in the oven.
Ingredients for this stew recipe:
- Boneless lamb stew meat and boneless beef stew meat
- Russet potatoes, carrots, onion, and garlic
- Parsley, thyme
- Olive oil, salt, pepper
- Parmesan cheese
And, you’ll need a nice big pot. Here’s my favorite LeCreuset pot to cook stew in. INFO HERE
Cozy Irish stew
I love the month of March, because I know spring is on its way, and St. Patrick’s Day recipes are fun to share.
But wait, we still have to put up with very chilly weather, especially here in Central Oregon in March!
I’ts really cold. It makes me want stew. I want lots of slowly cooked meat to warm my belly and my soul. :)
What cut of lamb is best for stew?
The lamb stew meat should be from the shoulder area, but you can buy this pre-packaged and already cut into small pieces. Or, ask your butcher specifically!
Delicious one-pot main dishes
Some of our favorite main dishes are:
Happy March and St. Patrick’s Day!
Irish Beef Lamb Stew Recipe
- 1.5 lb. boneless lamb stew meat, cut into 1" pieces
- 1.5 lb. boneless beef stew meat, cut into 1" pieces
- alternatively, use all lamb or all beef
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut crosswise into 4ths or 5ths
- 2 Tbsp. roughly chopped parsley
- 5-6 carrots, peeled and halved crosswise
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced into half moons
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 sprigs thyme, divided
- 4 Tbsp. live oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Parmesan to serve
- Heat oven to 250°.
- In a large, 8 qt. Dutch oven, heat 4 Tbsp. olive oil, then add lamb and beef meat. Sear, stirring only occasionally, over medium-high heat until almost all of the meat has browned—10-12 minutes.
- When meat has browned, add potatoes, parsley, carrots, onions, garlic cloves, salt, pepper, and 2 1/2 cups water to the pot and bring to a simmer. Taste liquid and adjust seasoning.
- Transfer to oven and bake, covered, until stew meat is just tender, 2-3 hours. Check midway through for seasoning, then return to oven until meat is tender.
- Let the stew sit for 20 minutes or so before serving with fresh herbs and Parmesan cheese.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.