Irish Slaw Dip
Irish Slaw Dip for a St. Patrick’s Day appetizer! The flavors get better overnight–a delicious dip or salad served with crackers or chips.
Since March is here, and you may be looking for some St. Patrick Day recipes. It’s fun to come up with new Irish recipe ideas. Since we’re such a Mexican-food-loving-family, this twist on my Mexican Slaw Dip, turned Irish Slaw Dip, was a big hit when I served it at a recent party.
When is St. Patrick’s Day? March 17th! You may want to try my Pastrami Sauerkraut Crostini or Irish Dark and White Bread Pudding or Guinness Beer Beef Chuck Roast Recipe (that has over 7 million video views).
St. Patrick’s Day Irish Slaw Dip Recipe
This recipe is so easy, watch the video below. Slice, dice, and mix together. I’ve found that making it in advance makes the flavors even better (and it’s a little softer, than fresh crisp cabbage!)
Ingredients to make Irish slaw
Ingredients to make this slaw (dip or salad): Savoy cabbage shredded, green onions, grated carrots, red cabbage, and a white onion.
Fresh cilantro, a can of jalapenos, peperoncinos, olive oil, rice vinegar, garlic powder, cumin, and Kosher salt.
Don’t forget fresh ground black pepper
St. Patrick’s Day food
One of my greatest memories is traveling with my husband, to Ireland a few years back was the food. There we got to meet some of his family for the very first time, and see the homes where his parents grew up. We enjoyed walking to the market, and home cooked meals in Uncle Gabe and Aunt Kay’s home.
In fact, we were just going through his mom’s purse the other day, with her belongings from her first trip to America from Dublin (by ship).
We also have great memories of Ireland on our family wall in our home.
Irish Slaw Dip
I think back to the last 20+ years of making fun breakfasts for our kids on St. Patrick’s Day. Like green pancakes, green waffles, green eggs and ham, fried eggs in pepper rings. Then sending the kids off to school in their “green,” lest they get pinched. :) Fun memories (2005 … wow, look at little Haggis!)
What I love about this Irish Slaw Dip recipe today, is that you can serve it any time of year. As a dip or a salad, it’s also great served on top of fish (tacos) and your favorite meat (chicken, steak, or pork).
Fresh and light (if you’re watching your calories), and perfect for an Irish party this upcoming week!
Irish Slaw Dip
- 1 head green Savoy cabbage shredded (about 6 cups)
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 cup red cabbage shredded
- 1 small white onion grated
- 1 cup cilantro coarsely chopped
- 1 4 oz. can jalapenos chopped, do not drain
- 1 cup drained peperoncinis
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Chop and mix the cabbage, green onions, grated carrots, red cabbage, white onion, and cilantro together in a large bowl. Add the canned chopped jalapeños.
- In a small food processor, puree the peperoncinis. Add the olive oil, rice vinegar, and seasoning; toss again. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix well and let stand 30 minutes; enjoy with tortilla chips, on top of an entree (like tacos), or as a side salad.