Loaded with south-of-the-border flavors, this easy Mexican Soup isn’t just a fiesta in a bowl, it’s a meaty, brothy, veggie-packed wonder that’ll have your taste buds singing! Easy to make and simple to customize, this hearty soup is a meal in a bowl and is perfect on chilly nights!
This is such a great soup! I get tired of the same old soups, but this one, with big, bold Mexican flavors, is the perfect soup on cool days. I love curling up with a hot mug of this soup for lunch, and it is filling enough to make a great dinner.
Soups are so fabulous. I love keeping soup hot on the stove for when my family comes in the door hungry, and it smells so good cooking. Everybody knows I’m in the kitchen making something delicious when the smell of this homemade Mexican Soup wafts through the house!
This soup has everything in it. It has veggies, tender ground beef, lots of flavor with a little help from taco seasoning packets, and a creamy, cheesy base that ties it all together.
It’s easy to make, too, and you can garnish it with a bit of chopped cilantro, a dollop of sour cream, a bit more cheese, or even olives. It’s the perfect soup, and I know you’ll love it, too!
Why I love this recipe
- A few packaged and canned ingredients make this an easy soup to pull together, even on busy nights.
- It makes plenty of soup, so there’s enough for dinner and lunch the next day!
- The soup tastes even better the next day, and you can freeze the leftovers, too!
Gather these ingredients
- Olive oil – Or your favorite cooking oil.
- Lean ground beef – Use 90/10 but 80/20 will also work.
- Sweet onion – Like Spanish or Vidalia onions.
- Bell pepper – Any color
- Garlic cloves – Use fresh garlic.
- Beef broth
- Canned diced tomatoes – One large 28-oz can.
- Zucchini – You’ll need 4 cups grated.
- Black beans – Canned; drained.
- Canned corn – Drained.
- Taco seasoning packets – You’ll need 2 packets.
- Cream cheese – Softened.
- Heavy cream
- Monterey Jack cheese – Shredded.
- Sharp cheddar cheese – Shredded.
How to make the best Mexican Soup
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat and add the ground beef, onion, and diced bell pepper. Cook, breaking up the meat until it is cooked through and the onions are translucent. Drain the grease and discard.
- Add the garlic, beef broth, undrained canned tomatoes, grated zucchini, drained black beans, drained corn, salsa, and taco seasoning packets to the ground beef and mix well.
- Cook the mixture on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the softened cream cheese, heavy cream, and cheese to the soup mixture and stir until the cheese is melted. Turn the heat to low, cover with a lid, and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Adjust the seasonings.
- Serve with your favorite toppings and dig in!
Tips & substitutions
- You can use 80/20 or really any ground beef, but you’ll need to scoop out more of the fat.
- Swap out the ground beef and use ground turkey, chicken or even pork.
- Use low or no sodium-added beef broth to control the salt.
- Always use freshly grated cheese. Shredded cheese is tossed with cellulose that prevents the cheese from clumping, but it’ll also prevent it from melting properly.
- You can use fresh or frozen corn niblets in place of canned.
- Add riced cauliflower, chopped green beans, diced carrots, and all your favorite veggies in this easy Mexican Soup recipe.
- If you want to keep this soup warm on the stove, cover it with a lid so the liquid doesn’t evaporate.
This is such a great beef and vegetable soup and makes a terrific meal. I love serving it along with cornbread or a slice of bread with butter on it. Or, serve a smaller portion of this hearty soup along with your favorite tacos or other Mexican dishes like shredded beef.
Store any leftover soup in the fridge for 3-4 days or freeze it in a freezer-safe plastic bag or container for up to a month.
Check out these awesome soup recipes while you’re here
Get the Recipe:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 large bell pepper, diced (any color)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes, or crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup black beans, drained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen or canned corn, drained
- ¾ cup salsa
- 2 store-bought taco seasoning packets
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat; add the ground beef, onion, and bell pepper and saute until the meat is cooked through. Drain off the grease.
- To the meat, add the garlic, beef broth, tomatoes, grated zucchini, black beans, corn, salsa, and taco seasoning. Cook on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Next, add softened cream cheese, heavy cream, and cheese to the pot. Stir until the cheeses are melted. Turn on low heat and cover with a lid and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve and garnish with a dab of sour cream, few sprinkles of chopped cilantro, and a couple black olives, or your favorite taco toppings--sour cream, chopped cilantro, slices of avocado, 1-2 black olives (on each bowl of soup).
Hello and welcome to my home and table!
I’m Sandy—lover of food, family, cooking, THE BIG BOARD, travel, and bringing people together. Through great recipes and connection around the table, we become better, stronger, and more courageous people. Feasting on Life is real, and every time we do it, we grow a little more. Read more...