Pedro’s Special Mexican Casserole
This most may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchaes.
Make Pedro’s Special Mexican Casserole for an easy meal, baked with corn chips on top, and served with your favorite toppings! Watch the VIDEO below if you are reluctant, it’s super easy to make for company!
Friends, if you’re reluctant to host, today I’m sharing an easy recipe for company: Pedro’s Special Mexican Casserole.
Earlier this week, I was chatting with some new friends about the trap that so many women fall into, that make us stressed out when it comes to hostessing. The trap is being a worry-wart. If we’re not worried that the food isn’t perfect enough, then we’re worried that our house isn’t cool or clean. Or that our kids will misbehave, or that it costs too much money. We worry, worry, worry, and then it stops us from inviting. And then if we do give in and make the invite, we end up having a hard time enjoying our guests.
All this worrying is exhausting!
There’s got to be a sweet relief!
And there is.
Just start with casual.
Pedro’s Special Mexican Casserole
My mom made a simple dish, Pedro’s Special Mexican Casserole, and whether a weeknight dinner for our family of 5, or she doubled or tripled the recipe, it was always a hit.
I’m not sure where the name came from, but Pedro Special was on our menu rotation.
What I love about this dish is that you can bake the meat mixture, and while that is baking, get the toppings ready!
Finely sliced iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream … you can add avocados, green onions, salsa, and even olives!
Everyone dishes up their own bowl, adds their toppings, and it’s super easy!
Super easy entertaining tips
- Plan something easy to serve your guests. Set out the ingredients, and let everyone dish up.
- Don’t feel like you have to set the table (just make sure it’s cleaned off); simply pull up the chairs, and just be casual!
- There’s a time and place for casual, and a Friday night just may be the night when you serve this dish!
Friends, make yours an entertaining style that allows connection, instead of stressing over what will go wrong, or worrying about the menu, your house being clean, etc.
Set the stress aside for the weekend, and ENJOY the people in your life!
Pedro's Special Mexican Casserole
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1-2 jalapenos, finely diced (optional, for a "kick")
- 2 small cans tomato paste + 2 cans water
- 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 15 oz. Bush’s Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups Mexican cheese or sharp cheddar
- 2 cups Frito chips
- Iceberg lettuce, finely chopped
- Chopped fresh tomatoes
- Optional: olives, sour cream, avocados, green onions
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Saute the chopped onion for 4-5 minutes; add jalapenos (optional) if you want a "kick". Add the ground beef. Cook until well done; drain off any fat.
- Add to the meat mixture the tomato paste, water, taco seasoning, and salt and pepper (season to taste).
- Place in a prepared (sprayed) large baking dish; add the cheese on top. Sprinkle with Frito chips.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes, until hot, and cheese is bubbly.
- Serve immediately with fresh ingredients: Finely chopped lettuce, tomatoes, olives, sour cream, avocados, and green onions.
More Mexican dishes:
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.