Roasted Delicata Squash Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links.
Serve as a healthy snack or a delicious holiday side dish, this Roasted Delicata Squash Recipe with sweet and spicy yogurt. A family favorite!
Thanksgiving is for family, and Friendsgiving is for friends. In other words, it’s okay to have several Thanksgiving meals, which I’m all for!
Roasted Delicata Squash Recipe
It is true, this time of year we love to celebrate with food, both traditional and trying out new recipes.
Today I’m sharing a delicious Roasted Delicata Squash served with sweet and spicy yogurt sauce that we served at a recent Friendsgiving potluck party.
We recently picked up some Delicate Squash at Trader Joe’s, and made several recipes. You may have already tried my Baked Spicy Delicata Squash Salad with Feta or Squash Appetizer Rounds recipes! Both so good!
And, this is a fuss-free dish because you don’t have to peel the skin of the Delicata squash!
What is delicata squash?
Delicata squash is a variety of winter squash with cream-coloured stripes of green or orange. It’s harvested in the fall, and keeps for about four weeks.
We cook it with the skin on, because as the name suggests, it has a delicate rind. It’s also known as sweet potato squash, peanut squash, or Bohemian squash.
How do you eat delicata squash?
Delicata squash tastes so good simply roasted with salt, pepper, and olive oil! And we drizzled it with a spicy yogurt sauce! Here’s a delicious Brown Sugar Delicata Squash that you may want to try, too!
Chop the ends of the delicata squash, then slice in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and discard, or slice whole.
What does delicata squash taste like?
Because it’s also known as “sweet potato squash,” it tastes like a cross between fresh corn and pumpkin pie. I’ve yet to try a Delicate Squash Pie, but I bet it would be delish!
For an easy appetizer or side dish, I think you’ll love our Roasted Delicata Squash In Sweet and Spicy Yogurt recipe today!
The squash is so savory-good, but it’s really all about the spicy yogurt sauce!
Roasted Delicata Squash with sweet & spicy yogurt sauce
- 2 delicata squash
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper, plus a few pinches
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp paprika, divided
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 handful basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mixed raisins, plumped
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds
- Preheat the oven to 450° F.
- Prep the delicata squash by removing each end with a sharp knife and then slicing each squash in half the long way. Use a spoon to scoop out and discard all the seeds from the inside of each squash. Slice each squash into half-moons—about 3/4-inch thick.
- In a large bowl, toss squash with about 1/3 cup of olive oil, cinnamon, coriander, and garlic powder.
- Spread the squash onto two baking sheets in a single layer. Crack fresh salt, pepper, and a dash of cayenne on top.
- Roast the squash for 15 minutes, then rotate the baking sheets in the oven. Roast for 5-7 more minutes, until the squash looks caramelized around the edges.
- While the squash bakes, combine the yogurt with the orange juice, 1 teaspoon paprika, and nutmeg. Add a pinch or two of salt and pepper.
- When squash has finished roasting, set it aside until it has cooled in temperature—10-12 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the squash with the yogurt dressing. Gently toss to coat the squash in the dressing. Taste and adjust with more salt if needed. To serve, garnish with the basil, toasted almonds, and plump raisins.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.