Healthy Summer Squash Casserole

Mail Attachment copy 10

Summertime vacations are the perfect time to reestablish contact with family and nature. And for us, most recently, it also meant enjoying the bounty of our garden while on the road and camping, or “glamping,” eventually ending up at a beach house on the Oregon coast (post to come), bringing along our harvested zucchini (both green and yellow) to make healthy Summer Squash Casserole.

Healthy Summer Squash Casserole

For our family, a summer vacation means gathering together (eating good food), exploring, enjoying the beautiful outdoors and a fire, and soaking in the slowed pace of our lives.

This year, after driving up the coast from the California Redwoods–on our way to Pacific City, our final destination–we stopped and camped along the way at Sunset Bay, on the Oregon Coast.
Oregon CoastTwice I made a 9×13 pan full of layered veggies, chicken, herbs, and cheese, which I call Summer Squash Casserole.

Healthy Summer Squash Casserole

There’s really no right or wrong way to make this–it essentially uses ribboned and sliced squash in place of pasta. Brilliant – and carb-free!

There’s something about camping (or “glamping“) that I find interesting. At least for our family, we just don’t feel the need to get to know our neighbors, or share food, like we would at home. It’s time to concentrate on each other and just relax and enjoy nature.

And we always love the fire!

Campfire

It’s a magical time to sit, listen to nature, chat with the family, read, take naps and hikes, and then enjoy good food.

This year we used our new Camp Chef oven, layered the ingredients veggies, and baked the summer squash casserole covered with foil at 400, for 40 minutes.

Summer Squash Casserole

Seriously, this is our new favorite summer recipe. I could have eaten the entire pan myself!

It’s so healthy – starch free, and full of the earth!

Super easy and delicious make for the best summer meals!

What’s your favorite way to make a healthy summer squash casserole?

Healthy Summer Squash Casserole

13 Responses to “Healthy Summer Squash Casserole”

Aggie — August 9, 2013 @ 6:12 am

I’m loving the tomato topping!! The whole dish looks so fresh and delicious!

I have to tell my sister about this oven – her family camps often!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — August 9, 2013 @ 6:20 am

Oh how amazing and delicious this looks, Sandy!!! I love squash and this is just great!!!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — August 9, 2013 @ 6:31 am

This.looks.amaaaaaazing, Sandy! My mouth is open and ready.

*sorry that sounded gross.

Donna @ MoreThanHungry — August 9, 2013 @ 8:28 am

Sandy – this sounds fantastic! I’ll be trying it out this weekend. Love the mix of ribbons and chunks of squash. Adding rotisserie chicken will really be a simple meal. Thanks for the inspiration.

Kirstin — August 9, 2013 @ 8:36 am

YUM! GOing to make this for sure!!! sounds amazing.

Heather — August 9, 2013 @ 8:59 am

As long as it has cheese in it I’m all over the squash casserole – I especially love this low (no) carb version!!!

Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pig — August 9, 2013 @ 9:03 am

What a great way to use up summer garden veggies, I can almost taste it myself! A must make before summer ends.

Sommer @ ASpicyPerspective — August 9, 2013 @ 11:02 am

Mmmm…this looks delicious, Sandy! :)

Debbie — August 9, 2013 @ 12:56 pm

4 cups cheese total? (2 cups x 2 layers)?

• Sandy Coughlin replied: — August 10th, 2013 @ 7:19 am

2 cups. 1 for each layer, Debbie. :)

Mary Lynn — August 9, 2013 @ 3:38 pm

Just had a few questions. Total of 4 cups cheese;? (I only used 2) Bake at 400 or 350? (350 at the bottom of recipe). I covered it in foil to seal. It was very soupy because of the veggies. Maybe just cover the top? Your thoughts? It was tasty.

• Sandy Coughlin replied: — August 10th, 2013 @ 7:20 am

2 cups of cheese, Mary Lynn. Mine turns out different every time depending on how many veggies, etc. I added to instructions to let sit for 10 minutes before serving. It does set up a bit!

• Mary Lynn replied: — August 10th, 2013 @ 8:29 am

Sandy, thanks for the reply. Will let it sit a bit longer next time. It was very tasty and we will be making it again next week.