Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Simmer a pot of Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe, made with fire-roasted tomatoes, black beans, chicken, corn, and favorite toppings!
Friends, there’s nothing like a warm bowl of healthy tortilla soup on a chilly winter day! This lighter version of chicken tortilla soup is comforting, flavorful, and packed with delicious ingredients. Readers have been making this easy chicken tortilla soup for years, and they say the “fire roasted tomatoes” is what makes it so good. We agree!
Lighter Chicken Tortilla Soup
I love an easy soup recipe you can quickly make and simmer on the stove. Taco or tortilla soup is also a dish that everyone loves, because you can set out different toppings, and everyone makes their own. You can serve whole tortilla chips on the side, or crunch them up in a bowl for a topping!
This recipe is light, healthy, and packed with veggies and beans. In every bite there is a nice piece of shredded chicken!
Of course, the cheese is optional, but the last step before serving is you add in cheese, melt, and stir. You can also use a light cheese!
We used Cabot’s Wickedly Habanero and it’s spicy … so one option is to use a milder cheese in the soup, and then serve the spicy cheese on the side!
Why we love this soup recipe
The cheesy comfort flavors of this soup we enjoy any time of year. It’s a great recipe to have simmering on the stove for a weeknight dinner or for a casual gathering!
There is so much depth and flavor in each bowl, your guests are going to want to have a second, I promise!
We made it in our new LeCreuset Oval Dutch Oven – I’m obsessed with this new Persimmon color! [affiliate link]
You can make it on the stovetop or you can make it in the slow cooker.
If you want a fun dessert, you can make this Cinnamon Sugar Fried Flour Tortillas to serve for dessert!
Ingredients for Chicken Tortilla Soup:
- Olive oil, onion, and garlic
- Chicken broth
- Fire-roasted, diced tomatoes
- Fresh cilantro
- Black beans
- Canned or fresh corn
- Cumin and dried oregano
- Chicken breasts
- Cheese (optional, and you can use light cheese)
How do you make healthy chicken tortilla soup with rotisserie chicken?
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring until soft. Add to the pot the remaining soup ingredients (including whole chicken breasts if using). Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer. Cook the soup on simmer for 1 hour.
Remove the chicken breasts from the pot and shred, and put back into the pot.
Or at this time add rotisserie chicken if you are using. Add cheese. Cook for additional 10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste!
To serve, ladle into bowls, dividing evenly. Serve with toppings and enjoy!
Toppings to serve with the soup
Also, delicious tortilla soup toppings:
- Cheese (we used Cabot’s Wickedly Habanero or use low-fat)
- Red onion
- Sour cream (use low-fat)
- Tortilla chips, crunched (optional)
Tips and substitutions:
- For more flavor (or heat), add a packet of taco seasoning.
- Add a variety of beans (chili, black, white, even chickpeas).
- Make your own tortillas to serve with the soup. Slice tortillas with a pizza cutter. Flash fry them in hot oil or bake in the oven at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Or, you can make them in the air fryer. Make sure to flip halfway through!
- Serve this healthy tortilla soup with cornbread, chips, or Frito chips.
- Whip up a giant green salad to serve with this pot of soup.
STORING/FREEZING THE SOUP:
Keep the leftover soup in an airtight container and store it in the fridge for 3-5 days.
It also freezes really well (read some of the comments).Just put it into an airtight container or plastic bag and keep it in the freezer for up to 4 months.
To reheat, place in a pan on the stovetop and cook until heated through, or microwave individual servings for 1 minute at a time until it reaches desired temperature.
This soup is comforting and delicious, and a great reicpe to make easy hosting!
More Chicken Soup recipes to try:
Get the Recipe:
Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small red onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 15 ounce cans fire-roasted, diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped, fresh cilantro
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 whole chicken breasts, or 2-3 cups Rotisserie chicken, chopped
- 2 cups Cabot Cheese, use your favorite flavor
- Salt and pepper
- Red onion
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring until soft, about 3 minutes. Add to the pot the remaining soup ingredients (including whole chicken breasts if using). Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer. Cook the soup on simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the pot and shred, and put back into the pot. Or at this time add rotisserie chicken if you are using. Add 2 cups of cheese. Cook for additional 10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste!
- To serve, ladle into bowls, dividing evenly. Serve with toppings and enjoy!
Hello and welcome to my home and table!
I’m Sandy—lover of food, family, cooking, THE BIG BOARD, travel, and bringing people together. Through great recipes and connection around the table, we become better, stronger, and more courageous people. Feasting on Life is real, and every time we do it, we grow a little more. Read more...