Coconut Almond Cake
When you’re looking for a simple cake that’s got a big coconut flavor and a hint of almond, then this is the cake to try! It’s moist, delicious, and easy to make, and it bakes up quickly in a 9×13-inch baking dish so that you can eat it in no time. The coconut topping is the perfect finishing touch to this easy cake that everyone will love!
I love quick and easy cakes, and this no-fuss wonder is always at the top of my list. It is so moist and delicious, and the sweet coconut topping is perfect with it. It’s way better tasting than a boxed cake mix, and you don’t need any fancy ingredients to pull it all together.
Coconut Almond Cake
I also love baking cakes in a 9×13 baking dish. This way, the cake bakes more quickly than if it were in a deeper pan, and you can cut it into squares for easy serving. You can also take the cake right in the cake pan to gatherings or anytime you need to take a dessert somewhere.
You don’t even need a stand or hand mixer to make this cake. Just a bowl and a wooden spoon, and you’ll be all set!
Why I love this recipe
- It’s easy to make with no hard-to-find ingredients.
- It bakes quickly in a 9×13-inch baking dish and is easy to transport
- The toasted coconut topping is so delicious and is perfect for coconut lovers!
Gather these ingredients
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder – Ensure it is fresh, not expired.
- Kosher salt
- Milk – Whole milk.
- Unsalted butter
- Vanilla extract
- Almond extract
- White granulated sugar
- Dark brown sugar
- Sweetened flaked coconut
How to make Coconut Almond Cake
This is an easy coconut cake, and you only need 1 bowl!
- Preheat your oven to 350-F and spray a 9×13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set this aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set this aside.
- Combine the milk, ¼ cup of butter, and almond and vanilla extract in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Turn off the heat.
- Beat the eggs with a whisk or wooden spoon in a mixing bowl until smooth, then slowly add the sugar. Mix until combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg-sugar mixture and mix until combined.
- Slowly add in the warm milk mixture and mix until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared 9×13-inch baking pan and bake at 350-F for 30-35 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool.
To make the topping
- Melt the remaining butter over medium heat and stir in the dark brown sugar and milk until combined.
- Add the coconut and stir to combine.
- Spread the topping over the cooled cake and let it sit for 20 minutes before serving.
- Cut, serve, and enjoy!
Tips & substitutions
- You can swap unsweetened coconut for the sweetened coconut for a less sweet version.
- You can use regular brown sugar instead of dark brown sugar but the flavor won’t be quite as intense.
- Don’t overmix the cake batter – mix only until just combined.
- For an extra toasty and roasty flavor topping, pop the cake under the broiler for 2-4 minutes or until the coconut begins to toast. Let cool thoroughly before eating, as it’ll be hot!
I never need an excuse to eat cake! After a hearty meal of Mayo-Parmesan Crusted Chicken or lamb burgers or even just a light meal like a salad or a bowl of soup, there’s always room for even just a small slice of cake! I also love serving this cake along with other desserts whenever we have company, and this cake recipe freezes well, so I can pull some out to defrost at any time!
Store any leftover cake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. Or, freeze it. Freeze the cake in a freezer-safe container or plastic bag for up to a month. Simply thaw and enjoy!
Check out these awesome cake recipes while you’re here
Get the Recipe:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk, or heavy cream
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- 1 ¼ cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup whole milk, or heavy cream
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9x13 baking pan with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk, ¼ cup butter, both extracts, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Turn off the heat.
- Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl until smooth and slowly add in the sugar. Pour in the flour mixture and mix well. Slowly add in the warm milk mixture and mix until smooth and combined.
- Pour the batter into the 9x13 prepared pan.
- Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- While the cake is baking you can prepare the coconut topping.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the dark brown sugar and milk until combined. Add in the coconut and stir until combined.
- Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes before spreading the topping evenly over the 9x13 cake.
- Let the cake sit for 20 minutes before serving.
- Optional to place the cake under the broiler to toast the frosting:
- Turn the oven on BROIL. Pace the cake under the broiler for 2-4 minutes or until it is bubbly and the coconut begins to toast.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Hello and welcome to my home and table!
I’m Sandy—lover of food, family, cooking, THE BIG BOARD, travel, and bringing people together. Through great recipes and connection around the table, we become better, stronger, and more courageous people. Feasting on Life is real, and every time we do it, we grow a little more. Read more...